Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Local Area Network Connection

• Please log in to reply

mitchdoctor

mitchdoctor

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My high-speed DSL modem (i.e., 2wire from SBC Yahoo) recently died. I had a wireless connection with the modem as well.

I replaced the DSL modem with another I purchased from Radio Shack that is compatible with SBC Yahoo (i.e., SpeedStream 4100). Once I installed the DSL Modem, the internet worked.

I then tried to install an Airlink Wireless router 101 to reinstate the wireless connection, to no avail - too technical for me. But now, my Local Area Connection is weird. It jumps in and out making my internet access inconsistent. Every couple of seconds, it will read "Limited or No Connection" then it will read "Acquiring Network Address", then it will re-connect.

SBC Tech Support says it's a hardware issue with my Local Area Network connection because we troubleshot everything they could. The DSL signal is okay, and the modem appears to be working.

How do you resolve the problem with the Local Area Network connection?

Thanks.
Mitch.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
First off it doesn't help to make thek same topic four times. If you are currently having these problems while using the router then a update on the firmware should clear it up. Routers don't actually have to be installed but configured rather. You can find updated firmware on your router's manufactures website: http://www.airlink101.com/.

Be sure not to download/install the wrong software because it can cause perma damage to your router.

mitchdoctor

mitchdoctor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for your reply; however, because of my "Limited Connectivity Problem" and my internet access being sporadic, I wasn't aware that the message had been posted 4 times. When I would try to post, I would get a message that the page could not be found. So, I would have to go back to the previous page, I didn't know it had actually posted.

I'm new to this; I just signed up today - give a me a break!

Anyway, thanks again.

mitch

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It happens, let me know how it goes because I had a simular problem a while back that was fixed with the firmware upgrade.

Edited by Titan8990, 08 April 2007 - 03:44 PM.

mitchdoctor

mitchdoctor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
One other thing. I am not currently using the router - I couldn't get it configured correctly. I am having the connectivity problem while only using the DSL modem.

mitch

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Was the modem you had before given to you by your ISP?

mitchdoctor

mitchdoctor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes. They sent it when I ordered the service.