Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What backup program can I use?

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hi everyone,

What programs can I use to make an EXACT backup that I can run from an external HD?

I want it to backup all the registry, installed programs, files, remembered passwords, browsers + plugins, settings, everything. And I want to be able to just run the backup and it will put the backup on without any problems.

The reason I want to do this is because I have my computer in a state where it is running fast, I've uninstalled all the crap and personalised it as much as I need to. Every now and then i'll muck something up or my laptop will encounter an error and i'll have to format, re-install media center, remove all the dell progs, install all my old ones and all this is after an hour of backing up!

Thanks

P.S. Can norton ghost do all this? Can I put it in to a partition easily? Can I add files to the backup once it's been made?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ghost will do it, but you can't add files to a Ghost file; you have to make a new image.

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Ghost will do it, but you can't add files to a Ghost file; you have to make a new image.

Thanks. Would i need partition magic to add it to a partition?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can use Norton Ghost to create perfect copies of your present drives/partitions to another partition, Hd, cd or usb storage device. Latter you can recreate the ghosted partition/drive. You will loose everything that was added after the ghost was created.

A ghost is a compressed .gho file that cannot be used as is. I don't remember all the details now but you cannot add new files to an existing ghost. When you want to use it Norton Ghost will extract the files and will restore the drive/partition to the state it was in just before ghosting.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
One nice thing about Norton Ghost is that it preserves absolutely everything when you make the file - all the files, the configuration, the file structure, even the date stamps. It is literally one snapshot of a system at the time you make it. You can even restore a Ghost file to a hard drive that's never been formatted - and it will work. IT companies love Ghost because it saves them shed lots of time when shipping new computers - build, test, ghost, box it up.

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Thanks guys.
Someone posted a link to a site that had a tutorial for making the ghost image the system restore (Ctrl+F11) for dells.

In that guide it says I need ghost 2003 (8.0). How can I get it?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Any decent computer shop should be able to sort you out with any software product you need, this includes Norton Ghost.

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Any decent computer shop should be able to sort you out with any software product you need, this includes Norton Ghost.

But i need ghost 8.0 - they'll give me 12.0!