Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Call Center Assistance

• Please log in to reply

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hello,

I am working with Access 97. In a callcenter environment. I need to get together productivity information for the past year. My problem is- the tables are located on different drives. The out come is: I need to have an employees total job in minutes per task worked. I need to tie together 3 different tables to get the information. One table is a periods table(based on date) then bounce this off the payroll database- to get hours worked per week- then convert that to minutes. Then get the table for associate calls and tasks worked on that specific day to create a query that will provide me with minutes worked per task on a given day. Then create a report. I am a new analyst and this is way out of my league. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance-
Ken

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, rivekm.

This shouldn't be a problem :whistling: First, I'll give you some tips, then I'll kind of explain how to get you started.

1. Decide if you want to Link the different tables into your new database or Import the tables into your database. If you simply want a copy of Table A, choose Import. You'll be able to edit the table, but changes made to the original table A out there on your server will not be reflected in your new database, because it's a copy made at the time you Imported. However, if you want the table to always reflect changes made in the original table, choose Link. You won't be able to edit the table, but it will always be up-to-date. From your explanation, I'd think Link is what you need.

2. There has to be a common field in each table to link them together. Without seeing your tables, I'd think each record represents one employee/person.

3. Define the relationship between the tables (search Access Help for "Relationship", this topic should be the first). You have to define how the tables are to be related, i.e. for each record in table A, there is one or there are many records in table B that correspondend . It sounds like the first two tables (the Date and Payroll tables) may be one-to-one, while the Activities table may be one-to-many, assuming each record is an activity for an employee/person and there may be multiple activities for that employee on any given date. But without seeing your tables, I can't give any more detailed information than that.

How to do it:
  • Open Access and start a new, blank database.
  • Then Link or Import the other tables by clicking the File Menu, Get External Data. Alternatively, you can click New from the Database window, then choose Import Table or Link Table.
  • Define the Relationship between each table. Click Tools menu, Relationships, add all the tables. If you don't define the Relationships correctly, you won't get accurate or correct data.
This should be enough to get you started. Access has a very good Help system. Be sure to use it.

rivekm

rivekm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Linda,

thank you for your help. I will get started. Your explanation was clear I will get started.

Ken