Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTL broadband setting up wireless at home

• Please log in to reply

valcandy

valcandy

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I have an ADSL linksys router at home, but, NTL broadband tech support say their broadband don't support this. What I dont understand is what other kind of routers there are in the market. Most of them seem to be ADSL (whatever that means).

Please help. Thank you.

Advertisements

valcandy

valcandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I just found this:

Difference between ADSL Router and Broadband Router

ADSL Router have built-in ADSL Modems so they can only be used via BT's copper phone lines which have been enabled with ADSL broadband. All major ISPs (Internet Service Provider) are compatible including AOL, BT Broadband, Wandaoo and any other ADSL ISP which operates over your BT telephone line..

Broadband Router can only be used by customers who have cable broadband supplied by NTL or Telewest. The wireless router will need to be connected to your ISP ( Internet Service Provider) supplied cable modem or set-top-box via an ethernet cable. The main Cable ISP's in the UK are NTL, Blueyonder and Telewest Broadband.

DOES THAT MEAN I NEED TO BUY A 'BROADBAND' ROUTER?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I have an ADSL linksys router at home, but, NTL broadband tech support say their broadband don't support this. What I dont understand is what other kind of routers there are in the market. Most of them seem to be ADSL (whatever that means).

There are two main types of router.

ADSL routers have modems built-in to them and they are designed for BT lines.
DSL routers don't have modems built-in (you plug the modem into them via a special port) and are designed for cable lines - namely NTL, Telewest/Blueyonder and maybe others.

The two are not interchangeable, you can't use an ADSL router on a cable line and vice versa.
Therefore you need a DSL router, available from all good computer shops.