Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win ME won't recognize my CD-ROM

• Please log in to reply

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
A friend gave me her old computer (it has a faster processor and more memory than my compaq). She had just restored it after having a bunch of problems with it. She installed Win ME (I have the CD and the product key), but found out that Win ME doesn't have all the driver files on it that Win 98 has. The CD-ROM is a Samsung SC-140b and Win ME doesn't recognize it and so it doesn't even show up in "My Computer". I do know that I am supposed to find the driver for it online and save it to a floppy (the floppy drive works), but I haven't had much luck finding it. I went to the Samsung web site, but I could only find the manual availible for download. I am registered with DriverGuide.com, but I can only find Firmware, is this the same as a driver? I downloaded what I thought was the driver, but when I read the read me file that came with the download, it said I had to restart in DOS to install it and DOS mode is hidden or something in WIN ME. I went to a site that had a patch for WIN ME for finding and resarting in true DOS mode, but it was way too confusing (especailly since I can't print out the instructions). I need to know if Firmware is the same as a driver and if it is possible to find a driver that can be installed without having to do it in DOS mode. I can't go online with it because I can't install a modem without the CD-ROM. The computer is a Dell.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
There are several possibilities here, one is that the BIOS settings disable the CD, another is that it is defective, did it work before? WinME is later than 98 and should be able to see more stuff. It also just may be an older type which requires a software installation, newer ones usually are picked up automatically. and NO, firmware is not the same as drivers, and you need to be very carefull with firmware upgrades, you can do more harm than good. It's also possible that your BIOS firmware in the machine could be upgraded, again be very carefull. However Dell makes it very simple and fairly safe to do upgrades, usually you just make a floppy and boot from it and everything is automatically done for you. Check to see if your version is the latest one.

Some simple things to do:

Make sure the cable are plugged in correctly. Make sure the CD is not on the same IDE cable with any hard drive and the connectors are seated at both ends.

Try another unit out of another machine, especially if you have an old one laying around.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might check here for your CD driver should you wind up needing it:

Samsung SC-140b

Ron

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Tyger:
Yes the CD-ROM worked before the restore. Is there some way to access the BIOS settings to check if that is the problem? I am not familiar with it and haven't been able to locate it on my compaq (I'm trying to make sure I know what I will be checking, and how, before I switch everything over. She only gave me the hard drive, I have to use my own monitor, keyboard and mouse etc.. so I have to keep unhooking and rehooking everthing evertime I check something). I checked in the WIN ME Complete Reference Guide about BIOS, but I only found one mention of it in "Adding Memory" it says to "enter the computer's low-level configuration setup, also called BIOS setup or CMOS setup", but it doesn't say how to do that.
I have checked the connections and none are loose or look damaged. Removing or replacing the CD-ROM will prove to be difficult if I am forced to try that, it is an old Dell casing (not a tower, looks more like a small, thick table without legs), and the screws that fasten the CD-ROM are under it with only about 2 1/2 inch clearance.

Major Payne:
I checked and that is the same thing I downloaded from DriverGuide.com (it's firmware), when I read the text document that is with it, it says I have to install it in real DOS mode and Win ME doesn't have it (it requires a patch that looks way too confusing to install) I found the patch to access real DOS in ME and I swear my eyes crossed a little trying to read AND understand the installation instructions. I'm OK when it comes to most trouble shooting, I have fixed several things myself successfully, but some things just don't make sense, it's like trying to read a different language.

Edited by CrankyCheryl, 08 April 2007 - 05:50 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry about that. I did a search at DriverGuide.com, but didn't come up with anything. I was sure the link with zipped file would have all you needed to install driver.

Ron

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This may or may not help you but i thought i would throw it in.

How Do I get Windows To Recognise A Missing CD-DVD Drive

There are a number of reasons why the operating system does not recognise your CD-DVD drive; it may, for instance, simply be a case that the connection to the CD/DVD drive has become loose. Alternatively, a driver problem may occur, or it may simply be a registry problem. Either way we try to address the problem here.

The BIOS

Without getting technical, the BIOS is a chip on your motherboard that, basically, starts the PC. It looks at what hardware and memory you have on your machine and checks that it can communicate with it prior to the Windows operating system kicking in. If the hardware is not being recognised then the BIOS is the first to complain.

However, before we look at the BIOS it is worth checking to see that the cable connections to the CD/DVD drive are secure. This is simple enough to do, requiring you to simply open up your computer case and physically check that the ribbon cable is connected properly to the CD/DVD and the IDE controller on the motherboard. You also need to check that the power cable to the CD/DVD drive is also connected. If this is okay then is the CD/DVD recognised by the BIOS?

To check this you can either watch the screen as you boot or enter the BIOS itself. Not all PCs display the boot options. This is because they have been disabled to make the boot process quicker. If your machine does show the boot options then you should see the machine first check the memory and then a list of devices should appear, something like this:

Primary Master: WDC WD800BD 00CAA1

Primary Slave: WDC WD800EB 00DJF0

Secondary Master: NEC DVD RW ND 1300A

Secondary Slave: None

If the BIOS has recognised the CD/DVD then there should be an entry in the Secondary Master or Slave area. If it say's 'None' then the drive has not been recognised.

With a None recognised drive you will need to consult your PC's user manual for details on accessing the BIOS (in most cases it is simply a matter of pressing the 'Del' key or some other key while the PC is booting. The BIOS menu should then appear. You should ensure that the configuration is set to 'automatic' so that the BIOS automatically picks up the CD/DVD drive. Once again, in the BIOS menu, you should see the CD/DVD drive details displayed under the Secondary IDE Master or Slave sub menu.

Driver Problems

If the BIOS recognises the CD/DVD drive then the problem may be driver related. To check for this you need to take a look at the Device manager options in Control panel. You might also check the CD/DVD drive manufacturers' website to see if a later driver is available. If so download and install it.

1. Click Start
2. From the Start menu click Control panel
3. In the control panel window click the System icon
4. The system properties window will open
5. In the System properties window click the Hardware tab
6. On the Hardware tab click the Device Manager button
7. The Device manager window will now open
8. Look for your CD/DVD drive in the available list and click the + (plus) sign to expand the menu
9. Does the CD/DVD drive have a ? next to it? If it does then click on the Actions menu and, from the drop down list, select Uninstall. This will uninstall the CD/DVD drive.
10. After the driver has been uninstall, again click the Actions option and select the Scan for hardware changes option
11. Windows will now scan for any new hardware and should pick up your CD/DVD drive.
12. If that doesn't bring your CD/DVD back then you may need to edit the registry - see below

Editing the Registry

Before we go you should be aware that editing the registry can be dangerous, so before you begin make sure that you have a backup copy of your registry saved in a safe place (see Question 62 for more details). It is also wise to create a System restore point prior to changing registry entries.

Now proceed as follows:

1. Click Start
2. from the Start menu click Run
3. In the Run dialogue box type: regedit
4. The registry editor will now open
5. navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and look for the Upper Filters value
6. Right click on the Upper Filter Value and, from the drop down menu click Delete
7. Next navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and look for the Lower Filter value
8. Again Right Click on the Lower Filter Value and, from the drop down menu, click Delete
9. Finally exit the registry editor and reboot your machine
10. Hopefully, your CD/DVD drive should now be recognised

Hope it helps,

SRX660

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I just wanted to say thanks so much to all who tried to help me with this frustrating problem. I think I am finally at the point of giving up completely. I have tried everything everyone has told me and nothing has worked, it must be defective in some way. I must say that I've learned quite a bit about my pc, inside and out. If I can ever afford to buy a new pc I'll definately be back if I have any problems, this is a really great site, I'm so glad I found it.
Thank you everyone.