Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME?

• Please log in to reply

jtconner

jtconner

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm getting the same error "RTHCDPL.EXE Illegal System DLL Relocation" others have noted & I'm using Windows ME--is there any risk to running the Windows XP fix? The only thing I've noticed odd is that when I try to open a Windows office file directly from where I stored it, it begins to attempt to reinstall Windows (or Office), but if I open the file from the Windows pop-up sidebar (which was unaffected), the file opens fine. Is this just something I'll need to put up with as I have ME or will there be any adverse affect by using the XP download solution? Or does anyone know? Thank you for your time.

This is my first post; I hope it's done properly. Please forgive me if it's in the wrong place. Thank you.

Jconner

MOVED TO Windows 95, 98, ME FORUM

Edited by Fenor, 08 April 2007 - 07:03 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Unfortunately I don't know the particular update that caused this problem, but I wouldn't try to use the XP one, maybe go to the update site and see if there is a specific fix for ME or just rollback the one that caused the problem. If all that fails, check and see if the XP one can be applied.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you download any updates recently?
This problem may occur after you install security update 925902 (MS07-017) and security update 928843 (MS07-008). The Hhctrl.ocx file that is included in security update 928843 and the User32.dll file that is included in security update 925902 have conflicting base addresses. This problem occurs if the program loads the Hhctrl.ocx file before it loads the User32.dll file.
Strange thing is it is xp I would not try the xp fix. I would try to email Microsoft (don't laugh) and ask them.
Cheers
Peterm