Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Working offline"/Internet access issues

• Please log in to reply

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi all! My dad has a computer issue. He has a PC that runs on Windows XP Home editon w/SP2. About a month ago my dad noticed that he wasn't able to get online anymore. My dad's ISP is Verizon, BTW. When I looked into the issue for him, I noticed under "Tools" that "Work offline" was checked. So, I unchecked it! It stayed unchecked-- for a while. Then, it would check itself and dad would be booted offline. :whistling:

We called Verizon, spending an hour on the phone setting up a new connection, but the "work offiline" always checked itself. I thought I had it fixed the other day, but now it's doing it again. :help: I just unchecked it, so I was able to get online to shoot off this message to you all, but I just know it's going to happen again. Verizon suggested it might be the modem. But if that's true, shouldn't I not be able AT ALL? And yes, we did reset the modem while on the phone w/Verizon.

I hope someone here can help us b/c I'm at my wit's end and otherwise my dad's gonna have to pay big $$ to take the computer somewhere. I'm sure it must just be some kind of setting. Probably something so darn simple! :blink:

Sure hope you can help. Thank you in advance! :help:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
When you say the setting keeps reverting to "Work Offline", I assume you are referring to 'Internet Explorer' since you didn't make this clear, and there are now several different web-browsers in use so it would have been helpful to say which one applies to you. If my assumption is correct, I suggest you try a different web-browser for the time being, the most common alternative being "Firefox" from http://www.getfirefox.com