Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet relating to Streaming Videos

• Please log in to reply

nickpd

nickpd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I finally got rid of my piece of crap wireless connection and replaced it with a standard cable connection. My internet is finally staying connected, however, there seems to be a strange issue with streaming videos. I take a couple of courses online (you can watch the courses) and the stream "times out" after about 1 or 2 minutes. This never happened with the wireless network. Also, for places such as youtube, I can't download the movies, it freezes after about 10 seconds, and you cannot 'stream ahead' like it does. I have no clue why it does this - is it something to do with my internet connection?

All other sites work fine, and I have been streaming these courses and other vids online for years. I really don't think that a change from wireless to LAN connection should have an affect on this , but it was working fine earlier today.

I know its not the sites, because I've tried many sites and same thing happens everywhere.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello nickpd and welcome to G2G,

It has to be either PC related or ISP related... Please answer the following questions:

"I finally got rid of my piece of crap wireless connection" <--------- What kind of Wireless connection did you have (IE... was it a cable or dsl company with just a wireless router connecting to your wireless network card, or was it some form of satellite wireless?)

"and replaced it with a standard cable connection" <---------- What kind of cable connection (IE.... an actual cable company or dsl company, or just a cat5 Ethernet line from the router to your pc)

You were watching the streaming video's before and not having any problems and since switching to this new form of connections you are having problems.... We are talking about using the "exact" same pc right? if so, what has changed in the network hardware setup wise (IE..... did you get a new modem, or a new router, or a new network card)

What Operating System does the pc use?