Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

weird sound issue

• Please log in to reply

soma36

soma36

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So, a bit of a tale, but it started when my sound just went out yesterday. Master Volume was, despite my setting it to whatever level, reseting itself all the way to zero before my eyes. I also was unable to put the volume setting in the tray. Anyway, I installed the sndvol.exe back into the system 32 in my windows folder (thanks to this site I could find it) so one problem solved. Still seems to be solved. Anyway, the same problem was happening with my Master volume slider (the cd etc sliders were as always) sliding itself back to zero. So after ages of mucking around I decided to rollback my device to the last known original configuration that worked (as far as I was concerned both were with the Sigma Tel Audio driver, so Im not sure what I rolled back to). Anyway, it worked and I thought I was fine, went to bed. Woke up this morning, and the same Master Volume slider problem started again.......So I decided I would try to update the sound driver with one of the recommended Realtec drivers. This didnt work either. So I rolled back the driver again, and after a few applying and okaying some of the settings in the sound devices part of the control panel, it started working!!! Am I going to have to install and rollback a driver evertime I want to hear sound on my computer!! As far as I can remember I have not actually installed any new software on my computer for a while, and definitely not in the last few days, let alone last night.

anyway, other info

Sigma Tel Audio on a Dell Pentium M Inspiron 600m (768MB RAM if it matters)

Current working, prone to not working installed driver is Sigma Tel C Major Audio

This was the original sound driver that came when I got the computer and has served we okay for the last 3 years.

Please, if I could have some help on how to fix this or if others have encountered the same weird problem before. I would rather not be confined to a life of installing and rolling back sound drivers!!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have a computer with Realtek audio go to the windows update site, one of the recent updates messed up the drivers, they now have a fix in place. There have been numerous posts about this in the forum.

soma36

soma36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If you have a computer with Realtek audio go to the windows update site, one of the recent updates messed up the drivers, they now have a fix in place. There have been numerous posts about this in the forum.

hey, thanks! But the Realtek thing was a bit of a side issue, I was just trying to figure out if my problem was a driver related one, and it seems so. The original one was the Sigma Tel audio driver that decided for no reason to stop working despite not having installed anything in the last wee while. Anyway, its not the first time I have seen this problem.....Im hoping I dont have to format and start again. but I will try one last thing.................