Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"no emulation" problem

• Please log in to reply

camelgrass

camelgrass

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am having problems doing a fresh install of Windows XP Pro.

When I boot from CD-ROM I get:
--------------------------
boot from atapi cdrom:
no emulation
--------------------------

I can boot from the Windows XP disk and use it to format my drive. When it gets to the stage of copying the Windows files to the installation directory it has trouble copying certain files.

I have tried booting from the Windows XP disk several times but it always gets stuck when trying to copy Windows files to installation directory.

In my case I doubt it is the CD Drive as I have tried using another and the same problem occurs. I have also tried another Windows XP disc with the same results.

There should be no hardware compatibility issues because about a year ago I installed Windows XP successfully on the very same machine.

Could it be a M/B BIOS problem?

Thanks for any help!
Marty

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi camelgrass!

If the problem you are having is what I think you are having, which is when copying the files it says it cannot copy so and so file and gives you option to skip that file or abort, then if I were you I would download Memtest86 and run a test of your memory. Memory is usually the cause of problems related to that which you are having.

Fenor

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
People always ask if this is a genuine copy of Windows.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

People always ask if this is a genuine copy of Windows.

That question is not needed to be asked since it only pertains to the copying of files over to the computer. Here at G2G, we don't jump to conclusions unless there is adequate reason to do so.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
I apologize, I certainly wasn't accusing. Kind of being facetious actually.

My bad. :whistling:

camelgrass

camelgrass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi camelgrass!

If the problem you are having is what I think you are having, which is when copying the files it says it cannot copy so and so file and gives you option to skip that file or abort, then if I were you I would download Memtest86 and run a test of your memory. Memory is usually the cause of problems related to that which you are having.

Fenor

Hi Fenor thanks for your help!

I have now run memtest and it does seem to be a problem with the memory. I'm not sure how to read the memtest results but tests 3-5 showed up a lot of errors (test 5 having over 20 000 errors).

I understand it means my memory is bad :whistling:.

Cheers.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you have more then one stick of memory in your computer, I would suggest you take one stick out and run Memtest86 with just that one stick in and see if it still gets errors. Also do the same having just the other stick in. That way you will be able to find out if both sticks of memory are bad (which is highly unlikely) and will let you know what you need to replace.

Fenor