Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running Out of hard Disk space

• Please log in to reply

VoiceMajor

VoiceMajor

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a Sony VAIO which has a C and D factory installed drive partition. I'm running out of disk space on my C drive which is slowing down my access speeds. I have all of my data files on the D drive and those have been backed up regularly. I'm trying to free up some space on C and have used the Add/Remove programs to remove any unnecessary programs, but am still in trouble.

I have two folders which I would like to remove, but am hesitant. One is "InstallShield Installation Information" which has folders dating from 2001 through 2005. It's 21.1 MB. Can I remove this without doing damage.

The second is Support.com which appears to be a 3rd party Sony add-on. It's files are dated around 2003.

I regularly follow your Malware removal software, so I'm pretty certain I don't have any viruses, etc. This is really just a space issue.

I was also wondering about how to relocate my Outlook data files to the D drive. I have archived and compressed, but even the archive file is very large. I need to retain older emails as I frequently need to refer to information in them (Even as far back as 2001).

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
How large is the drive and have you considered using a USB external drive for your major files? Is this a desktop or laptop, and can you add an internal drive? How much of the D: drive is left?

And no, I wouldn't remove either of the files you listed, they may be important later and don't amount to much anyway. Many of your installed programs will probably be able to access the D: or another drive.

Edited by Tyger, 09 April 2007 - 10:33 AM.

VoiceMajor

VoiceMajor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It is a laptop. C drive is 11 Gb.

I already use an external hard drive to back up all data files. It is the program files which run off the C drive (by default) and the cache writing which seems to slow down the system. I have removed any surplus software that I do not access on a regular basis. Two files which are significantly large and I would like to redirect to the D drive are the Outlook main file and the Archive file. Can you help me in redirecting those as that would free up about 1.25 Gb.

Thanks for your help. You guys are really a great resource.