Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Msg Everytime I open an Excel Doc. Please Help

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I am getting the following error message everytime I open an excel doc. "Compile error in hidden module: AutoExecNew " I did a search on yahoo.com and came across some info on it and tried to do what they said however it still didn't work I will paste what it told me to do. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before and if so what they did to resolve it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Heres what I did so far, with the website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307410

RESOLUTION

Method 1: Download the latest version of the add-in for Adobe Acrobat 5.0

Method 2: Move the Files

Method 3: Visit the Symantec Web site for Norton Antivirus information and product updates

On Method One I don't even have Adobe Acrobat installed on my PC

On the Second Method I was unable to find the files they were talking about, so I could move them

On the Third Method I don't have Norton on my PC I use McaFee

I would really appreciate any help. Thank You

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Pasting this in Start > Run worked on 2 end users here at work that were receiving that error.

Regsvr32.exe %Windir%\System32\Ole32.dll

Two others that were also having that problem, I reinstalled the program. (In this case MS Word)

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Alright so I tried. pasting what you said to, however that didn't work. I also uninstalled office then reinstalled it and I'm still getting the same darn error. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, wadeb_21.

Let's try opening Excel in SafeMode. To do this, click Start, Run..., and type in excel.exe /s (note the space). Excel should open with no add-ins at all.

Do you still get that error? If so, what version of Excel do you have?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Alright so I opened it in safe mode like you suggested and it opens fine, however before it open I get this message
"Excel has detected that you have recovered files. These files will be opened the next time you start excel in normal mode." I'm not really sure what that means. But like I said I dont' get the other error message when I open it in the Safe mode.
I am using Office 2003. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
1. Since Excel opened okay in SafeMode, you need to browse your computer for the XLStart folder. You have at least two and they are located at:
c:\program files\Microsoft Office\Office11\XLSTART
c:\document and settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
Move (cut, not copy) any files you find in either of these folders to your desktop. That should stop the "compile" error.

2. Recovered File error. This simply means that at some point recently Excel closed in a non-normal way and there were files open. Once you do #1, you can open Excel normally, allow it to recover whatever files it will, then you should be good to go.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Alright so I cut and paste the XLSTART file to my desktop and I am still getting the compile error. Is there anything I might be able to try? Thank you

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What files did you move out of that folder? Please browse back to the XLSTART folder and ensure there are no files there. You may need to Show Hidden Files/Folders first, so open My Computer, Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab, check "Show Hidden Files/Folders".

Next, do a search for XLSTART on local disk c:\. This will show you how many folders you have. Open each one and verify there are no files.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Alright so I made sure that I had the show hidden files and folders checked. What I did was I moved the whole XLSTART folder to my desktop. But I just now checked and there isn't anything inside of the folder. I also did a search and it only found one XLSTART folder. Its still doing it now. Is there anything else you could suggest? Thank You.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You should not have moved the entire folder, just the contents.

In Windows XP and Office 2003, you will have at least *2* XLSTART folders and the one located at c:\document and settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART will not show up in a search. You'll have to browse to that folder manually. Also, backing up to c:\document and settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\ you'll see your default startup sheet (called excell11.xlb). Move (cut/paste, not copy) this file out to your desktop also. This will force Excel to create a new, clean startup sheet.

Open Excel. Still getting that error?

If so, I suppose we could revise your Shortcut for Excel to include the /s switch.

Advertisements

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Alright so I went to c:\document and settings\UserName\Application Data. but thats as far as I can go because there is no other files when I open Aplication Data. I"m not sure if something is missing from when I did the installation or what. Is there a work around that or what would you suggest? Thanks again.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Be sure to replace UserName with Your Username. Also, you'll have to Show Hidden Files/Folders. I provided these instructions in Post #8.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I actually did replace username with mine and I made sure that hidden files and folders are checked and nothing shows up in the application folder. Thats why I don't if something is missing from the install or what not. I actually removed Office 2003 then reinstalled to make sure it wasn't a bad install and I'm still getting the same Error msg. Do you have anymore suggestions? Thank you.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It's really not possible that Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data is totally empty. This is where Windows XP stores user specific application settings - not just for Microsoft products, but for any/all applications you've installed.

Is it possible you're not looking in the correct user folder? You should have "All Users", "Administrator", and "You", plus a couple of others like "Default User". If you've ever changed your computer's name, you may have additional users.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Honestly I really am going to my name under documents and settings then aplication data and nothing is showing up. How do I copy a picture of the screen so I can paste it in here and show you. its something like control P or something like that isn't it. Thanks again.