Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

running wireless off westell 2200

• Please log in to reply

goodwrench

goodwrench

• Pip
  • 2 posts
okay we have bellsouth dsl running through a westell 2200 modem. RIGHT now we are hard wired, but want to have wireless also for our laptops. What de we need to get to do this? I have heard a WAP connected through our router will work? will it? if so, any reccomendations? Or is there any other way of doing it??? thanks!!!! chris

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Does your router have wireless capability?

If not, then you need to start with getting a Wireless Router. Then you need to make sure your laptops either have an internal wireless NIC card, or you have a plug-in wireless NIC card for them. That's the hardware side of it.

goodwrench

goodwrench

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
okay, the laptops have wireless cards, so they are ready to roll. No, my router in not wirless. We tried a wireless router from wal mart and it did not work. so we took it back. later i read only specific wirless components would work with this modem.. That is what i am trying to figure out.. So any pointers on what hardware i need to add wirless to my set up?

Edited by goodwrench, 09 April 2007 - 05:18 PM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Your best bet is a wireless router. DLink. Belkin,linksys. Take your pick. The Westell 2200 is an older model. What speed is your connection? Bellsouth had a deal on a 3.0 upgrade to free home networking with a free Westell 327w wireless gateway. I don't know if the deal is still on but it's worth checking out.