Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Extremely Extremely Slow. Please Help

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I have a Compaq Laptop and I'm running XP Home edition. For some reason its running extremely slow all of a sudden. I haven't downloaded anything recently so I"m really not sure what is causing this. I'm not sure if there is malware on it or what. I would really apprecaiate any help. Thank You

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
How much free space is left on the hard drive? When is the last time you blew the dust out of the air intake? When is the last time you cleared the cache, ran chkdsk and defragged in Safe Mode?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Honestly its been awhile since I have done any of those things. I will definately do them all. I forgot how to run chkdsk can you refresh my memory please. Thank you for the help.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Open My Computer and right click on the hard drive, select Properties then under the Tools tab click the Check now button. Check the box to Automatically fix file system errors. CLcik Start. You will get the warning box that states it can't scan until the computer is rebooted. Click OK and reboot the computer. The scan will run after the restart. Let it finish.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Also how do I clear the cache? Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.