Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying To Install Windows 98 In DOS MODE!

• Please log in to reply

running95

running95

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have a Dell Latitude LS400 and the harddrive has been formatted to boot to the DOS MODE. I have an external CD drive i have inserted the disk in and tried to boot the laptop from that CD! But I get the error message "invalid system disk"

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When you boot the system without the CD connected do your get the MS-DOs prompt? If you don't get the prompt it's not formatted with the system files? If you're using a USB CD you will need to load both the CD drivers and USB drivers and enable USB legacy support. This is assuming that there is no "native support" for USB in the BIOS.

On the other hand it the machine does boot from the hard drive and you have another machine, if you can take the hard drive out and transfer all the win98 installtion files, the whole folder to it, enable show hidden files for this, then put the hard drive back in, boot it, type in C:\win98\setup and you will be in business.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I don't believe that old laptop supports booting from an USB drive. Does the laptop have a working floppy drive? If so you should be able to do a network install.

BlueScreen-Bertrand

BlueScreen-Bertrand

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

does this computer have a floppy drive?

You could copy the Windows 98 Files to floppies and then unpack them on the laptop hard disk.

The easier possibility would be to use an adapter, connecting a 2.5"-HDD to the IDE Connector of a PC.

I only found this one:
German Website, auto-translated by Google Translations