Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Phone application

• Please log in to reply

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I am often using many bandwidth killing applications on my PC, and I wanted to know if there was a program that would let you plug in a phone line into your unused phone modem and it would sense if the phone was in use, and automatically turn down your PC's bandwidth usage. This would be kinda sweet because we have a VoIP phone service and when Im doing somthing internet wise, the phone user cant hear the other person on the other line and it gets very delayed.

Any help would be appreciated, ask if anything is unclear (probably very unclear right now).

Thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
not for voip. there were some products that allowed that for POTS modems (you know, dialup).

there are some routers being advertised as being voip friendly. I don't know much about them.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a VOIP specific router (or an advanced knowledge of router configuration) would be the way to get this done....VOIP specific routers are designed to use QOS (quallity of service)...QOS gives specific protocols (like VOIP, FTP, HTTP, SMTP, etc...) precedence over any other traffic that is passing through the router....in a VOIP router the QOS is already configured to recognice VOIP traffic and give it a much higher precedence over any other traffic...which means that if it sees FTP traffic and VOIP traffic...that VOIP will get a higher guaranteed bandwidth where as FTP will get what's left

Tim'A

Tim'A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
So could I keep my same phone service with a different brand phone router?
The router now is from the phone service company.

Would I have to be on a different phone service that provides a router with"QOS"?

(We have LINGO phone service if that helps any. . . http://www.lingo.com/)