Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express 2003 and Website email

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I have a problem that has me totally stumped. I do a website for a client so therefore the employees each have their own email accounts and they retrieve their mail through Outlook Express. I set them all up a year ago and things work just fine and still do. BUT, they wanted me to add a few new accounts latley (such as [email protected] - [email protected] etc....) and they wanted me to sadd them to ONE of the employees account only for she will be responsible for them.

Anyhow, I went into her Outlook, added a new account and filled in all the info. Basically the only thing that should change is the account name and the password to the new email account on the server. So, I fill it all in and nothing!!! When I run a test it generates errors on the outgoing and incoming mail. I don't understand...all the info is the same and her regular account works fine. Why cannot I get this new account to work on Outlook Express 2003??? I have all those accounts set up here on my home computer and they all work fine...the only difference is I am using Outlook Express 6. They are just regular POP3/SMTP accounts.

Am I missing something...HELP

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
There is no Outlook Express 2003.

1. Are you the email Host? If not, did you add the new addresses with the Host?

2. Is there an Exchange Server in this situation?

3. Confirm which email client your client uses, Outlook Express 6 or Microsoft Outlook 2003.

Once I get this information, I'll be better able to assist you.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Sorry...It is Outook 2003. It is just basically set up to retrieve and send mail through a webserver (website) for their business. Just simple POP3/SMTP stuff which is easy to set up. Like I said, her main account works through the exact same server, so I set all the info the same EXCEPT the username and password which are obviously different to the new account on the server (Which I set up!) Both the ingoing and outgoing are the same for this server: mail.sitename.org

Why the one account works flawlessly and the new one does not is beyond me...LOL...it should be all the same you would think???

Thanks

peace out,
daddy

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
If you have 2003, I can set you up a temp account with a password if you wanna test it!

peace out,
daddy

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
So you are the email host, or are the accounts set up with a third-part company?

I'd try to set up a new Mail profile with one of the new email addresses. Close Outlook. Click Start, Control Panel, Mail, Show Profiles. On the General tab, click Add to create a new e-email profile. Give the new profile a new, then click next until you get to the Server Type screen. Check your e-mail type. Fill in all your e-mail account settings. When you get back to the General tab, change Outlook's start-up option to "Prompt for a profile to be used". This will ensure you start with the new profile when you re-open Outlook. If you're not prompted, reboot and then open Outlook. Does that work?

Try adding the new email address to a different user's workstation.