Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

shutting down

• Please log in to reply

rachbaby

rachbaby

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey, lately when I try to burn a movie my computer is shutting down about a quarter way through the process. It doesn't happen everytime, but the last two movies I tried to burn it happened. I'm using MediaShop BurnPlus . Could it be the program or possibly even the type of disc I'm trying to burn to? I'm using pretty cheap discs that I got at WalMart (RetailPlus) If anyone knows how I can fix this please help me !

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I would imagine that burning a movie is a processor intensive procedure. Often a system will shut down to protect itself from high temperature. Do you have any temperature monitoring for your processor or Motherboard? Are all the fans working correctly? Have you cleaned the inside of the case lately?

rachbaby

rachbaby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
no tehre is nothing monitoring the temp. we just bought the computer about 2 months ago so i haven't cleaned in the case. one time when it shut down and restarted a message popped up saying something about a device driver. I have no clue.

rachbaby

rachbaby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
at least i don't think there is anything monitoring the temp. :whistling:

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
OK. First get SIW (System Information for Windows). This small application require no installation. When you download it just "save" to your desktop. Then a double click on the green icon runs the program. http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html When opened it offers a double pane. On the left side look for "Sensors" under the Hardware header. Click it once. Information about temperature sensors will be displayed on the right. If nothing displays, you don't have any. (Probably) If you do, also pull up the information for "Motherboard." You will need it to configure Motherboard Monitor: http://www.majorgeek...oad.php?det=311 Once you have this set up it puts the temperature in the notification area. Depending upon how important your computer is to you, you may want to take it to a computer shop for cleaning and basic maintenence. Tell them to just do the physical stuff and depending on the price, maybe install some sensors if you don't have any. Just getting it cleaned, and making sure that all the fans are good will help alot.

During a processor intensive procedure (a virus scan for example), the addition of another process to the system may be enough to overwhelm its ability to cope. Sometimes various applications are set to update automatically, or run periodically in the background for a time. When it's time to burn your movie, perhaps it would be best to disconnect from the net and turn off the programs that are showing in the Notification area. When you are finished, turn them back on and reconnect. That way the system will not be asked to multi-task during the burn.

For what I have learned about the basics of getting my system under control, with URLs of useful tools and informational sites, see my Vox: http://doc1101.vox.com/ To visit the "links" copy and paste to your browser address bar in a new tab.