Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Home Networking Tutorial Issue - need help Step 70

• Please log in to reply

thorkil

thorkil

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Followed this excellent tutorial (the part dealing with OS setup for XP) without much trouble, up to Step 70. At that point, my system does not generate screens or options that match the tutorial so the next 10 steps or so are greek to me. Here is step 70, which works fine.

70. Click the OK button. Taking you back to the “Wireless Network Connection Properties” screen.

But now, Step 71, I don't get why I Do Not See what is described.....What am I doing wrong? There isn't any "Wireless Networks" tab, no box with a check.....etc

71. Now click the “Wireless Networks” tab Verify that there is a Check in the box for “Use Windows to configure my wireless network Settings”, Verify that there are no SSID Broadcasts listed in the PREFERRED NETWORKS box (if there is select it and click the REMOVE button).

So I can't follow the directions for 71, 72, 73, and I'm sure this is where all of my troubles with networking are coming from...

Maybe my system has been configured for some other program to configure wireless settings, how do I fix this?

thanks , sorry to be long....

Chuck

Advertisements

thorkil

thorkil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Its been 35 minutes, I've used the time to figure it out myself. Turns out there IS a simple way to turn the wireless settings back over to windows, & now I can proceed with the rest of this tutorial. (BTW, it really is nicely done, I hope it finally solves my longstanding network problems with this laptop (DELL Precision M90) If not, I'll be back.....