Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing or Corrupt File

• Please log in to reply

dogswood

dogswood

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Yesterday my notebook gave me the following message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

It then tells me to use the original set-up CD-ROM to repair.

Unfortunately, my notebook came with preinstalled Windows XP along with a product recovery DVD-ROM. I am afraid that if I use this DVD-ROM, I will lose all my data.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this forum and am not an expert.

Many thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you borrow a same version XP CD

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Try running sfc /scannow. Go to Start and the to the Run dialog box. Enter sfc /scannow] and press enter. It will prompt you for the CD (DVD) when it starts to run, at that time insert the DVD. The program should do the rest.

System File Checker (sfc)

dogswood

dogswood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you both for your prompt replies.

Keith, how do I know what version of XP I have? All I have is a black screen with the message in my original post

acklan, I can't get to Start and Run, all I get is the message on a black screen.
I have figured out how to run the DVD. It gives me 3 choices to reinstall:

1. Reinstall Windows to whole HDD to factory default.
2. Make 2 partitions for the OS and data. And reinstall Windows to the OS partition (all existing HDD partitions will be lost)
3. Reinstall Windows to the first partition

My worry is that whatever choice I make, I will erase all my data (including hundreds of pictures of my 60th birthday on a dream trip to the wilds of Utah last week)

Are any of the choices "safe"?

dogswood

dogswood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you both for your prompt replies.

Keith, how do I know what version of XP I have? All I have is a black screen with the message in my original post

acklan, I can't get to Start and Run, all I get is the message on a black screen.
I have figured out how to run the DVD. It gives me 3 choices to reinstall:

1. Reinstall Windows to whole HDD to factory default.
2. Make 2 partitions for the OS and data. And reinstall Windows to the OS partition (all existing HDD partitions will be lost)
3. Reinstall Windows to the first partition

My worry is that whatever choice I make, I will erase all my data (including hundreds of pictures of my 60th birthday on a dream trip to the wilds of Utah last week)

Are any of the choices "safe"?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dogswood...

What is the make and model number of your machine? Does it have a floppy drive?

wannabe1