Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full control of wireless network

• Please log in to reply

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I will be setting up a wireless network (i can do this easily) but because i will be at uni i will have some house mates, i will be paying for th broadband, and they will be paying me. but i have seen people who have never received money off house mates.

based on this i would like to see who is on the network, and with the possibility to disconnect them if they have not paid. This may seem harsh, but something has happened between me and them regarding the house itself!

i have no hardware, so if i need any hardware (i'm not sure if it's going to ADSL or Cable yet) please post i link (preferably in GBP, but its not nessicary)

Thanks again

Glen

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello glen_m_32 and welcome to G2G,

How will your house mates be connecting... Wired or Wireless?

And if you decide to go wired or wireless with DSL or Cable you will be needing a router... either a wired router or a wireless router and also the modem that your ISP offers. Choose cable its faster - specially for multiple users.

If trying to decide if you want to go wired or wireless the easiest thing to remember is do you want to run ethernet cables all over the place or do you want no ethernet cables....

Once you got the Connection from your isp and you have the needed router for whatever option you decide post back and well get you set up.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I completely understand how to set up a network myself, i have done it many times. but i am interested in a way of controlling who goes on it because if they don't pay, they don't get internet.

the router will be wireless, i know that, but i would like to know is there a way to stop one computer accessing the network if they don't pay!

Thanks for your help!

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
It would depend on the wireless router you use. Most modern routers have a browser configuration utility, especially the linksys router i posted for you..... it looks like this:

1.JPG

and under the wireless mac filter you can see who is trying to access your wireless, who has been approved for your wireless, who has not been approved for your wireless - because you have restricted thier access. Pretty Easy.

Routers vary in degree of complexity on how to set them up, but most all pretty much have the same options, just in different places and worded differently.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
So would i need to fix all the other users IPaddresses?

thanks

glen

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Im not sure what you mean by fix thier IP address's - all you would need to do to deny service from someone connecting, is just uncheck thier bubble from the mac filter and they no longer can access.

If the isp you choose, has additional settings that need to be applied (like for a ppoe connection) then yes you would have to have access thier pc to make the service work,

but not to deny them service <---- could still be done from the router config if they figure how to set it up themsleves.