Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive problems

• Please log in to reply

lixi

lixi

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, for the last couple of weeks my computer has been running really slowly. It keeps telling me that my hard disk drive is full and at 0% free space and to clean up old files and remove any programs I don't use. Well, I defragment and clean up my disk weekly and also I have removed all programs that I do not use or need. However, my computer is still running very slow and it still keeps giving me messages that my hard drive is at 0% free space. I have a Sony Vaio with a 100GB hard drive. I am confused at it tells me that my C drive is at full capacity at 30GB and my D drive is at 60Gb with 45 GB free. I dont know what the D drive is for? I thought it was 100GB on the C drive? Please help.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, lixi. Welcome to Geeks to Go.

First, let's look in My Computer at your drives. It may be that your very large hard drive is actually partitioned into two drives.

When you open My Computer, do you see "Local Disk C:" and "Local Disk D:"?

If so, what is the "Total Size" for each?

What is the "Free Space" for each?

lixi

lixi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Linda,

Yes they are partioned into C and D drive. The C drive has a 27.9GB capacity with 9.47GB free space. The D drive has 58.2GB with 49.6GB free space.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Well, the C: drive has over 20% free space, so you shouldn't be getting any warnings yet.

Is there anything that has happened with your system that might account for its sluggishness? Did you install anything new or uninstall anything? Or did it just start acting this way suddenly?

Do you have a reliable antivirus software installed? Is it up-to-date and have you run a full scan lately? I'd suggest doing this before anything else. If anything shows up, you might want to visit the Malware forum for a clean-up.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

lixi

lixi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Linda, thanks for your help. I do have an up to date Norton Internet Security package, which runs a rull scan of the computer every day. However, today the disk space on the C drive is at 580KB and it will not allow the security scan to run as it doesnt have enough space. I really dont understand why it is going so slow. It was bad last week, then it improved and there was 20% free space on the C drive and now it is at 0% free space again and moving frustratingly slow. Please help.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Look at MS Article 307886 that describes how to move the Paging File to the other partition. Once that's moved, you should have more free space on C:\.

However, please open My Computer again and confirm total space and free space, since you're getting those space errors.

I don't know what could be causing your free space to jump around like that. I still think you need to visit the Malware Forum for a complete checkup. Please follow the instructions in my previous post.

lixi

lixi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Linda, C drive is at 27.9GB with 2.74MB free space. The D drive has 58.2GB capacity and 49.6GB free space on it. I will check out the malware instructions in your other post. Is it relatively easy to follow the instructions for the moving of the memory paging file? It has brought up messages saying that the virtual memory paging file is too low and that it is increasing the size of this..?? I'll try your instructions anyway, thanks again Linda.