Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Externals won't show

• Please log in to reply

excitableone

excitableone

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Using a Compaq laptop, Presario 1030US. The C drive, 100gb Seagate, boots. My Logitech wireless mouse, via USB, is working fine. The HP printer, via USB, works fine.

I had a Seagate 400gb external, via USB, online for ?2 years?
I added a Seagate 750gb external, Firewire400, several months ago.
Both drives are IDE.

Over the weekend, the system bogs down, almost dosen't respond and neither external drive shows or is accessible. Unplug the 2 externals and the speed and response are normal and all other components seem ok.

Spybot, Ad-Aware, Norton, Defender and Stopzilla run 24/7. None have found an issue.

Any thoughts???

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Do the hard drives have their own power? Maybe you are drawing too much power from the laptop? Do you have another computer to try the drives on?

excitableone

excitableone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Each external drive has its own power supply. No problems with the set-up for several months. Then, over the weekend...

No recent hardware or software changes.

Will be testing on another rig early next week.