Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External hdd power supply

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Hi,

The power supply cable for my ext hdd comes in two pieces . . . one part goes from the ext hdd and has the adapter box at the end of it. The second part is plugged into the adapter and is then plugged into the wall. The second part of the power cable is no longer any good and I need to buy another one. I Googled it but can't find where I can buy these types of power cables, either one part or both of them. Any body have any ideas?

Denise

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Try any thrift stores around, they tend to have all kinds of electrical odds and ends, including power and computer cables. I'm assuming it's the cord you're talking about. Another source of odd power cables is cash register repair places, they use lots of different power cables. If it's the connector on the power module just take it to an electrical repair shop, the kind tha fixes toasters and such.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Hi Tyger,

Yeah, it's the cord that I need, only the part that plugs into the adapter and then into the wall outlet (adapter not needed). You have good ideas but there aren't any places like you mentioned in the area where I live and the closest computer supply store is over 3 hrs away.

Denise

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Denise

Could you describe in detail what type of connection this cable has on the end that goes to the adapter? Better yet, a photo of it would be great!

If you can't get one locally, then Ebay may be worth a shot. If I know exactly what the cable looks like, I should be able to tell you what to search for online.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Hi Samm,

I've looked around the net and Googled it but I can't find a picture of the end of the adapter that needs the plug. It has 3 prongs inside an enclosure in the adapter. The prongs are almost situated inside the enclosure like a regular 3-prong plug but the prongs are all the same size in diameter and square-ish/rectangle-ish. The middle prong is taller than the other two. The rear of the adapter says

SWITCHING ADAPTER
MODEL KY-05036S-12-H
AC adapter & Plug (100-240VAC ~ 50/60Hz, 2A)
Output: 12V --- 2A
. . . . . . 5V --- 2A

Other than that, I can't describe it much better. I don't have a digital camera.

Denise

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I am right in thinking then that the 3 prong thing you described is part of the actual adapter, so that the cable you need fits onto this?

Does the 3 pronged thing look like this by chance.....

mk19a.jpg

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

I am right in thinking then that the 3 prong thing you described is part of the actual adapter, so that the cable you need fits onto this?

Yeah, the 3 prongs are inside a well in the adapter. I need the cord that willl plug into those prongs and then into the wall outlet.

Thanks for the picture :whistling:

Denise

Edited by Denisejm, 11 April 2007 - 02:25 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
In that case, it sounds like you just need a standard computer power cable (same as the one plugged into the back of your computer).

I'm assuming you live in the U.S, in which case I'm a bit hazy about what type of plug you need on the other end of the cable for plugging into the wall socket but heres a pic of the sort of cable I'm on about.....

2863066.jpg

The female end should fit the power adapter of the hard drive, the other (male) end may be wrong.

If you go to Ebay & look in the Computer section, then the Desktop & Laptop Accessories -> Cables, Adapter cards sub-section, type 'power cable' into the search box & then just scroll through the results til you find what you need.

This is probably the cheapest & easiest way of getting the cable if you live miles from a computer shop.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Hi Samm,

You were right. I had a spare cord that I used to plug my old pc into the wall outlet and I plugged it into the adapter and it fit perfectly. I plugged the other end into the wall outlet, turned the drive on and it spun right up. I never would have thought of that so thanks much!

Your picture has exactly the types of plugs that I needed on both ends.

Thanks again . . . Denise

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome