Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Misleading icon in system tray

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
The system tray of my Dell 3000 (with XP and a Netgear Wireless adapter connected to my router) often (always?) shows an icon of two display consoles with a red X. When I click the icon I get a screen showing two wireless connections. One of them – “Local Area Network Intel Pro/100VE” is shown with a red X and the notation “Network cable is unplugged.”

I get this even when my connection to the internet is working fine – obviously through the other wireless connection.

But why do I get this icon at all?
Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi wdc202..

You will get this icon any time you have a network adapter installed, enabled, and unplugged. It can be hidden by right clicking on the Start button and choosing "Properties". Click on the "Taskbar" tab and then on the "Customize" button. In the window that opens, click on the network connection you don't want displayed and choose "Always Hide" from the drop-down menu. Apply the changes and the icon will no longer be displayed.

wannabe1

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
wannabe1: That did it! Thanks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts