Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem Uninstalling a Program

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I recently used a program called "XPlay" which a program that is like an alternative to iTunes. It allows you to go into your iPod and put songs back onto your computer and vice versa.

Although, I ended up not really liking it or having a use for it, and apparently uninstalling it was not enough. Everytime I open a program or plug in my iPod this dang message pops up over and over again until finally it goes away.

I deleted everything that I could find under "Media Four" (it's company) and "XPlay" from my computer (I don't know about the registry), but I just want to get rid of this because it is annoying. Could someone please help me?

3 Screenshots of the messages I see constantly are attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• argh.jpg
  • argh2.jpg
  • argh3.jpg

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sick of me yet? :whistling:

Open Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and click on Run. Is XPlay listed in the right frame?

wannabe1

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Sick of me yet? :whistling:

Are you kidding me? It must be the other way around.
I'm taking advantage of this board and you a little too often.

And no, it wasn't listed there, but "Media Four" was listed in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\" as a folder.

It had an "XPlay" folder in it with a couple other folders next to it.
I deleted those and ... it doesn't seem to have changed anything.
Still can't burn cd's either.
I need to get out more.

Thank you for always helping me. I've never known a kinder person; honestly.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, is there a listing for Media Four or XPlay? How about under the "Services" tab?

Did you try the Express Burn program to try burning a cd with? I'm still not so sure it's not a hardware/software problem rather than an IRQ issue. If happyrck wants to run you through changing IRQ assignments, I'll leave that to you two...too many cooks may spoil the broth while doing that.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Nothing on the startup tab,

but under the Services Tab I noticed a few strange Processes running.

There are 2 corporations called "Macrovision Corporation" and "Macrovision Europe LTD." running "Licensing" and "Install Driver Mangers." So I Googled Macrovision and XPlay and look what you get --- Link

A link to a person who posted a Hijackthis log with MediaFour involved. I went to
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mediafour" and found a bunch of files, and if I click on the main application, guess which messages pop up? That's right, the ones from before.

I also have a folder called: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared"

and "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32"

ALL housing files by this "Macrovision" Corporation.

Should I delete these?

Attached Thumbnails

• crap.jpg
  • crap2.jpg
  • crap3.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try a system restore to a date before you installed XPlay...let's see if we can get a clean registry to work with.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
You know what,

I just ran the installer again and clicked "Remove" when it asked to either Install or Remove and that worked.

Let's focus on the cd-burning problem.