Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

my computer forgot that its optical drives exist

• Please log in to reply

badcomputer

badcomputer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have windows vista 64 bit edition and, up until now, i havent had any problems. So anyway, I have had vista installed for about a month now and today, when i tried to install something off of a cd, it didn't work. I thought this was strange becuase i have used both of my cd/dvd drives alost everday since i got vista and they have been working fine. So i went into my computer and saw that my 2 drives weren't showing up under the list of devices with removable storage. Thinking that this must be one of those vista probelms people keep complaining about I went into device manager to see if my drivers needed reinstalling. Both of my drives (which were in the right spot) had the yellow "!" next to them and when I clicked on them it showed this error code for both of them:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

So I uninstalled the drivers and rebooted thinking that it would reinstall them and everything would be fine, but that didn't work. It just went back to the same error code. I tried searching for updated drivers on the net, but all it said was that my drivers are up to date. Running out of ideas now, I did some google searches and found somone who said that if you go into regedit and delete files called "upperfilter" and "lowerfilter" (those aren't the exact names, I cant remeber what they actually were because i cant find the webpage again, but they had something to do with filters) and delete them, then reboot and the computer should be fine. Then I ran into another problem. I cant open regedit at all. I go to run and type it in, and windows UAC asks my permission to run it and i click continue, but then nothing happens.

I have run out of ideas as to what to do to fix this, I cant use my windows dvd becuase my drives are not working and i realy realy dont want to reinstall windows. Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks
Mike

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. This was a problem in XP. I see it is happening in Vista as well. Here is a link to a M$ document about the problem:
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=320553 upper and lower filters, drive not found
There is a registry patch, called CD Gone that GTG had posted which does work in XP. I can't find that on our page now. I do have a link to the author's page at http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.php . I cannot say whether it will work in Vista or not. I do not know. Be sure to read his cautions and back up the registry before you mess with it. You can also go over to M$ and search their knowledge base. No doubt since this problem is appearing in Vista as well, there should be information on it at M$.

badcomputer

badcomputer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Austin I'm sure will work becuase it is outlining exactley the problems I have, but i cant go into my registry becuase i can't open regedt :whistling: It worked a while ago, but now when i try to open it, the computer thinks for a second but the window doesn't come up. Did i change some setting that makes it so i'm not allowed to use regedit, or is it running in the back ground?
Im realy lost now :blink:

badcomputer

badcomputer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Wait, hold on I found regedit!
I had to open the file loaction instead of the application itself, and then click on it from there to get it to open for soe reason, but it worked and now my cd drives are back!! yay!

Thankyou austin o !

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Glad you got it working. For regedit, all you need to do is go to start, run and type regedit and then click ok. The hard part is navigating once in there....