Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Exchange Server

• Please log in to reply

sam007

sam007

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

I'm having problems with the exchange server version 6.5 running on Windows 2003 server. My clients have received a bulk of email indicating bounce backs that have occured about a month ago. It indicates emails that couldn't be sent to a recipient. However some of my clients say that the emails have been sent even though they received a bounce back a month later. I then found out that one of the main administrators have done reboot of the exchange server which was the reason why people have received these bounce backs a month later. It was sitting on the queue all the time and when the reboot was done it sent out all the bounce backs at once to the users, and all the sent mails that were stuck on the queue were also finally sent . What I want to know is why they have been sitting there for so long and why it doesn’t sometimes send the bounce back. It seems to just sit there and also the emails that are sending out are just being trapped inside the queue. What might be the problem?

Advertisements

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Check the MX record, I think it maybe something to do with that.

billhenshaw

billhenshaw

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Also be sure to setup a PTR record for each of the clients with their respective ISP. (I.E. call and ask Verizon to make a PTR record for the static IP you rent from them as "'mail'.example.net" where 'mail' is the DNS name of their exchange server and 'example.net' is the client's url.