Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Upgrade help

• Please log in to reply

marqis

marqis

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I have recently tried to install Vista on my home pc with no avail I leep getting an error after reboot:
Windows\system32\winload.exe error code ocx0000221.

I have searched and searched but what I keep reading about is dual boot option and so forth. I am not sure that I want to do a dual boot but the more I think about it the more I am considering it. I have a 250 GB HDD C: and D: I have all my media stored on D: and all my XP on C:

Can I do a clean install on D: and will Vista automaticaly associate all my C: files with the install? Or should I just install the upgrade and fix the error. From what I read it seems that the fix should be pretty simple however they were a little to advanced for me as far as modifying the boot ini file. I know how to get there but not how to modify it. Any and all Help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dual boot is easy.
Just use something like Partition Magic to size the main partition down, make a new one, use your Vista DVD, tell it to install into the new partition, it'll do everything for you.

marqis

marqis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
10-4 Do you think I should create another partition? I have a C: and D: already I was thinking of installing it on D: however I do have a lot of MP3 files and pics and stuff. I do have partitomagic handy so I think I will create another partition just for Vista. if I do a clean install on the partition do you think the error that I was getting will not be there anymore. I will try it tonight and post back.