Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop wireless card problems!

• Please log in to reply

JennyReed

JennyReed

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just purchased a wireless desktop card for one of my home computers. Installation went fine, but when I tried to pick up the signal from the router, I'm only getting (at best) a very low signal. What's unusual, is that I can put my laptop (which has a built-in wireless card) right next to my desktop, and my laptop picks up a very strong signal. I've heard that it's the router which really determines how strong the signal is, and not so much the receiver, but if the router can send a very strong signal to my laptop, then why not to my desktop? Did I purchase the wrong wireless card? I started with a Netgear Super-G Wireless card which claimed (of course) to pick up a stronger signal. Then, I even tried returning that one and got the "top of the line" (according to the "experts" at best buy) Linksys SpeedBooster Wireless Desktop Card. I saw no difference. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello JennyReed and welcome to G2G,

Wireless signals can be very hit and miss when it comes to reception differences between 2 different computers and there are many things that can interfere with the signal along the way. Maybe your desktop pc tower is sitting down low to the ground and the wireless card is an internal card and is getting interference from the wires around it... we can troubleshoot this all month if you wish, or you can take the easy road and use these:

This is Linksys's version of turning your entire home into a cat5 ethernet network... at every electrical outlet.... not to mention its cake to install and works like a champ... and you never have to deal with finiky wireless reception. Check this link.

PS.
I am not a linksys sales rep shooting for a commission... :whistling: I just really like them and used to used them in my home before i finally found time and wired my house with cat5. Any questions or if you want to troubleshoot the wireless till we both get gray hair post back and let me know.

JennyReed

JennyReed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
SpaceCowboy706:

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I'm going to give it a try!