Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt or missing file

• Please log in to reply

akito2000

akito2000

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I try to start this computer i get a black screen that said /windows/system32/config/system is missing or corrupt. I need it fixed but I don't have the startup disc or a way to get one. I was told I could buy one but I don't have the money at this time. Is there another way to fix this comp. I heard you can make your own disc with some downloadable file from some websight but I never found it. Is there a way to make my own disc or another way to fix this comp. It runs XP home edition and I need it fixed by tomorrow if possible. TY for your help.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello akito2000 and welcome to geekstogo.

As for making your own disk and getting into a recovery console I do not pay attention how to help you there. Because most computer manufactures when asked with provide you with at least a OEM(Original Equipment Manufacture) copy of the disk. You may have to pay for it but most likely not the full amount.

As for repairing the problem. After you get into a recovery console. Follow the steps below. This is attempt to get you up and running again a way to attempt to repair your system.

One you could Follow MS KB http://support.micro...kb/307545/en-us

Which is a lot of steps.

Or you could follow this method Which I like because it takes the registry copies from your system restores which will cause less problems.

At the Windows XP Recovery Console command prompt (C:\WINDOWS>), perform the following steps:

1. Type the following command and press enter:
cd \

2. Type the following command and press enter:
cd system~1\_resto~1\
Note the underscore character after the backslash.
You may get a error here if you do post back and let us know

3. Type the following command and press enter:
dir

4. Type the following command and press enter:
cd rp[x]
where x equals the restore point data directory number. Pick the last one listed
when you typed in dir another words the highest RP#

5. Type the following command and press enter:
cd snapshot

6. Then type in the following pressing enter after each and If queried whether to replace the file, press the Y key and press the Enter key.
copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy _registry_machine_sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy _registry_machine_secuirty c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy _registry_machine_default c:\windows\system32\config\default

7. Type exit and press enter. The system will restart
Remove the Windows XP CD from the drive as the system begins to restart