Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random restarts, crashs, stalling

• Please log in to reply

y2v

y2v

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm not sure where to post this or even exactly what's wrong with my laptop but it has frequently been crashing on me, to the point where this is the third time I have tried to post this. I'll be doing something normal like opening my web browser or even playing solitare and my laptop suddenly reboots after flashing a blue screen for a second. The only piece of info i get from that screen is something about an infinite loop. What should i do, is this some sort of virus? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Cheers, Sal

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hi Y2v and Welcome to geeks to go

The Blue screen Typically known as the Blue screen of death can be caused by many things.

First thing that we need to do is stop the loop and get the technical information.

If you are using windows XP

Go to Start> Control panel > System > Advanced

Under startup and recovery press settings.

Under the section system failure. Where it says automatically restart Uncheck that.

Typically when talking to a Computer Tech the most important information from that blue screen is the technical Information. So next time you get it write it down. Also the miniDumps that they create can be sometimes very useful

So we can help you out more can you please post them by following the instructions below.

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > upload the ZIP file as a attachment in your next reply.

As all Blue screen tests can have to do with memory I recommend you running a memory test.
http://www.memtest86.com/
is a popular one. Please run it over night.

Also who made your hard drive. If you did not make your computer what is the make and model of your computer.

y2v

y2v

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your help. First of all i've added the attachment as suggested and am running a gateway, model: MX7526. I was unable to see the blue screen for more than a second so am unable to gather any information from it. I am also unsure of how to preform the memory test once i've downloaded the software. Thanks again for your help.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dump.zip   102.99KB   77 downloads

y2v

y2v

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok i got the info on the blue screen. It says the problem was caused by the file win32k.sys and the error is a page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. There is also some address and datestamp i took down but i don't know if it's relevent.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I just ran though the dump files and it looks like it does not isolate the driver.

Here are the results

BugCheck 10000050, {bb98c7ec, 0, bf88a831, 1}
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k+8a831 )

Probably caused by : TDI.SYS ( TDI+837 )
BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, f77fa837, f78f9a00, 0}

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k+8a831 )
BugCheck 10000050, {bb98c7ec, 0, bf88a831, 1}

BugCheck 10000050, {b41da5d0, 0, f7102831, 0}
Probably caused by : Ntfs.sys ( Ntfs+35831 )

From the results we find out a few things. One It is not a specific driver that we are looking at mostlikely. Two the blue screen error messages that you are receiving so far is a 0x50 and a 0x8E

I would first start off with a memory check. I gave a link to a program that you can run in my first post ,post #2. You would want to run that overnight Post the results in this thread.

y2v

y2v

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm not sure how to do the memory test, and i don't have a floppy drive to create the bootable disk?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
you download the ISO image from that site and burn it from the ISO.

y2v

y2v

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ya i've made the boot cd but how do I boot from the cd during start-up.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
How you boot to cd depends on the make and model of your computer.

It is going to take me a while to look up your spacific system.
EDIT: added last sentance.

Edited by tuxmaster, 12 April 2007 - 04:06 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
To boot your computer to cdrom Turn on your computer and tap F10 use the up and down arrow keys to select cd/dvd and press enter.

y2v

y2v

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've tried doing that and i've been able to get to the boot menu and select cd dvd rom as the source for booting but instead windows just loads normally. I'm stumped now, as i've also tried taking off the case and blowing the dust off the fan, somewhat successfully, but that didn't help much either. Anyways thanks for your help.