Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer turns on but nothing happens

• Please log in to reply

mitchb

mitchb

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i was using my computer today, i was on msn and that was all that was running. the computer froze so a restarted it. i came back afew hours later thinking it was on the log in screen and the screen had just gone to sleep. i moved the mouse and stuff and the screen didn't come on, i then noticed that the lights on the transmitter for the wireless keyboard and mouse wern't on so i checked that and couldn't fidn a problem.

so i restarted it but the restart button wouldn't restart the computer. i turned it off at the power and then tryed to turn it on but this did nothing the screen was still off, mouse and keyboard still didn't work and the restart button wouldn't work. it turns on but it seems the computer isn't doing anything, no noises of it loading or anything. would this be because a component inside the computer has died or a virus? any advise would be much appreciated, thanks.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. There are a multitude of things it could be. The best thing to do is open the case and make some observations as you try to start the computer. Do you see the power supply fan running? How about the CPU fan and the case fans? Do you see any video display on the monitor? When you post back, post your full system specs as this will better enable folks who want to try to help you.