Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD c000021a

• Please log in to reply

njlock

njlock

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
I keep getting the bsod when I install svc pk 2, I've done the repair funtion 3 times already, last time I did all the virus and every other scan I could think of before I let it do the svc pack 2 update, when it restarts 1st time I get the c000021a fatal sysytem error bsod. Before I do the svc pack 2 update it seems fine. It installs all the critical updates no problem, but whenever I get to that svc pk 2 update, same thing happens. I'm in process of doing a chldsk scan now, but if it does'nt solve problem will I have to reformat disk and reinstall XP from scratch?
BTW I'm using a dell 2400 256 mb ram approx 3 years old, my mom's computer, she only uses it for AOL mail., (and limited picture viewing) it only runs on a dial-up modem,(at her home, I have it hooked up to my network at work for downloads) so it was propably very behind in updates, had a lot of spyware on it, from people sending her junk files/ pics. Can I assume if it restarts after the chk disk, the problem was solved? and if not should I go right to a reformat/reinstall?
Thanks

PS did the chkdsk, no change, still BSOD!!

Edited by njlock, 11 April 2007 - 08:12 AM.

Advertisements

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
The Microsoft article below may help you.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;156669

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
>>>>>>>>>>>OK this is complete error mssg.

"Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session manager initialization system process
terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down."

>>>>>>>>>>I found this thread

Windows XP: XP startup-Fatal system error-session manager initialization
by Strangette - 11/10/04 4:30 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>this is one post I feel is relavant.
"When the OS is reloaded from the original CD (a 40 minute process that looks exactly like a virgin install, but actually just overwrites the Windoze system files without blowing off the registry or any programs or data) TURN OFF Automatic Updates!!!! You may go to the Windoze Updates site manually and let it search for updates, but use the "Custom Install" not the "Express Install." This will allow you select the specific patches to be installed. When I started working on this issue earlier tonight and determined what was happening, I began installing the updates one at a time to find the one that caused the failure. I got halfway through the list of 16 and then got lazy. I did 4 at once and everything was fine. Then I did the last 4 on the list and bang, I'm dead again.

DO NOT INSTALL UPDATE NUMBERS 890859, 891781, 893066, or 893086. It is one of these that killed me. I do not yet know which one. Stay tuned and maybe I'll have some time on Sunday (won't have any time tomorrow, sorry) or one of you can take over the detective work."

>>>>>>>>>He later determines that #890859 is the culprit

"PROBLEM DIAGNOSED!!!
by Dick White - 4/16/05 9:15 PM
In reply to: XP startup-Fatal system error-session manager initialization by Strangette
Hotfix number 890859 is the culprit. Another tech in Microsoft's own newsgroup has documented it as well. But I can't find any evidence that Microsoft itself has acknowledged it. The easier solution than my method of reinstalling is outlined here.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/spuninst.htm

So put out the word - turn off Automatic Updates, install updates manually and do not install # 890859. You may need to check the "hide this update" box so it doesn't get included again in future update cycles."----------

>>>>>>>>But I tried this and could not find that file, (this post is almost 3 years old ) I found a procedure to identify and remove hotfix's, but again that one was not listed, so it may be another one?

unless anyone has a better solution, I'll do the repair and manually install updates, and see if I can isolate the problem update
I'll advise if I figure it out

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
I thought that did it, but on one of the many updates, it got me again! I gave up!! MS SUCKS!! I'm formatting and reinstalling xp, Probrably would have got it if I spent 75-100 hours on it! These machines are going to be disposable soon, its not worth the man hours required to figure out the problems! The [bleep] thing only cost me $399. 3 years ago.