Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could it be the CPU?

• Please log in to reply

wrhipno

wrhipno

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey everyone, I just bought a new computer, well all the parts for one, and I was sitting here for like 5 hours putting it all together with a friend. We went to turn it on and it turned on for like a split second, fans, LED lights, everything, then it all shut off... I don't know what is causing this. I have a AMD 64 3800+ processor, one of those new really good ones, lol. Anyways, my friend an I think its the processor. Or like 5% the motherboard... Maybe you all know why? Thanks... Ill be watching this post, so ill respond when you type something if you know/have any ideas.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Try the following
1 clear the cmos
2 check the cpu fan is connected to the correct header on the mobo
3 check the 20 pin connecter from the psu to the mobo is secure and also 4 pin
4 verify all jumpers are set correctly

Check for these and post back if no go

Rick

wrhipno

wrhipno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
What is the CMOS? How do I clear this? My friend was the one acutally building it, i was watching...

wrhipno

wrhipno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
IM reading on how to clear the CMOS, but what does it mean to "short: CLear Cmos"? Theres a picture here of where it is, and i guess "Open: Normal" is when nothing is plugged in. The "short: clear CMOS" is filled in with some gray shadeing... I guess i take something and plug it in there? What do i use to short it?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Cmos is a chip on the mobo that stores your bios info, bios is needed to start your computer, by clearing it you are setting it to factory defaults this is sometimes needed with a new board.

You clear cmos by moving a jumper on the board from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3 waiting 5 minutes and then moving back to pins 1&2. Do this with the machine off and unpluged.

The jumper is usually located near the battery and is labled cmos but very small.

Make sure this jumper is on pins 1&2 when you power on or that could cause what you have described.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
What they mean by "short" is to move the jumper to the other pins just do as I described

wrhipno

wrhipno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I believe i failed to state that this is a computer i just recieved today... First time we tried to power it, we got failure.. Ill try this jumper thing, gimme a sec.

wrhipno

wrhipno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Alright, Since i have no idea how to do the jumper thing, im just going to try to take the battery out for like a min, and replace it back in there... Will this do anything to help my computer turn on?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
It could it has the same effect as using the jumper

But if the cmos jumper is not on pins 1&2 the computer will not boot.

What mobo do you have I will download a manual so I can tell you more

wrhipno

wrhipno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Its:
K8 Triton
nForce 4 Utrla
GA-K8N Utrla 9
nForce4 Utrla chipset

Supports AMD athlon 64/64FX Processor

Advertisements

wrhipno

wrhipno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well... I tired the battery taking thing out, and that didnt do it. Its still not turning on. The fan moves liek an inch, then stops... I really don't have any idea of what is wrong.... Help?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am downloading your manual now and will have a look. It is late so I will post back tomarrow

wrhipno

wrhipno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Alright, I think its gonna be the CPU itself, maybe its fried or something. I think im just going to get another one from the manufactuer. But thanks for the help anyawys...

Meigz

Meigz

• Pip
  • 8 posts
That's EXACTLY what happened to mine.

Had to get a new motherboard, because it had fried >.<

wrhipno

wrhipno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Eh, I donno... Me and my friend thInk its the CPU... Motherboard is working fine i think. But either way... I really dont know anything about this..