Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply

VK.Jayy

VK.Jayy

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I use programs such as Windows Live Messenger, Ventrilo and Xfire very often. I usually notice i have a problem when i try to connect to a Ventrilo server where the button which is labelled 'Connect' turns to 'Disconnect' once i have clicked it, yet i should see the Ventrilo Server's channels but i don't. So i'll next try logging into Xfire where it will get to the stage of 'Getting Login Salt' and after about 10 seconds, it tells me it has 'Lost Connection'. Also with Windows Live Messenger i continously lose the connection and get signed out. I notice i only have this problem with Windows Live Messenger when i am currently experiencing a problem with both Ventrilo and Xfire, yet i do not always experience the problem with these programs and sometimes i can simply log in to them as i should.
I am also using Windows Vista as my OS which may be my main concern, but why it doesn't happen all the time is what i can't understand?
Could be some sort of virus that i've never experienced before? Am using AVG Anti Virus 7.5 if anyone wishes to know.

P.S I'm quite sure everyone knows what Windows Live Messenger is but for those who don't know what Ventrilo and Xfire are...

Ventrilo - A proprietary Voice over IP program with clients for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.
Xfire - A freeware instant messaging service targeted toward gamers, that also serves as a game server browser.

Advertisements

s2tgrave

s2tgrave

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
what kind of internet-connection do you have?
dsl/router/wifi/...?
if using wifi, try to connect on another chanel (http://192.168.1.1/)