Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Ultra ATA HD problem, please help =(

• Please log in to reply

wkddrifter

wkddrifter

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys first I want to say hi since I am new to this forum.

Anyway this is my problem. Recently my old SATA hd died on me so I got fed up and got a PATA to replace it, a Seagate 120gig 7200rpm Ultra ATA. Everything went fine when I installed it into my system, and I was able to get into windows xp setup. Now this is where the problem happens. Since I am used to installing SATA drives, I press F6 to install any secondary drivers, this is used to installed SATA drivers via floppy disk btw, and proceed to do so. HOWEVER once I realized my mistake it was too late and the windows setup stalled with my HD light still busy probably confused on what the h*** this driver is for. So I did a hard reboot and tried to get back into windows setup. But when I did this all the computer does now is constantly reboot, I dont even see the mobo splash screen nor can I get into the bios before it (beep, reboots) again and again. So I am pretty stuck on what to do, can anyone please help me with this problem? If I accidentally destroyed this HD just from this stupid mistake I will kick myself =\ sigh.

Advertisements

wkddrifter

wkddrifter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
update on the situation: When I turn it off and turn it back on I finally was able to get to the mobo splash screen, however it just stalls there and I cant get past it nor can I get into my Bios. When I disconnect the HD however I was able to get into the Bios as well as past that to the boot from cd msg, so its definitely something with the HD.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
no idea but i dont see any reason for this behavour iam aware that when installing sata and or a raid controller u press f6 in the windows screen while it loads and i have on a system a sata hdd that is setup as a secondary drive and an ata that is setup as the primary (windows installed) drive and when i installed the sata i did it as if it was the primary if u see what i mean altho when the option came up and asked which drive to install windows on i didnt select the sata drive so what i am getting at is there is no reason why it should mess it up at all what so ever.

wkddrifter

wkddrifter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hmm well I went back to exchange for another drive, and everything seemed to go well, bios was able to detect the drive, and I was in windows setup, but then boom the pc reboots on me all of a sudden then I get constant reboots. When I turned it off/on using the power button I was able to get back on the mobo splash screen but now Im stuck there like before with the other drive. So something is definitely up and Im not sure which component is giving me problems. When I went into the BIOS I checked all the hardware settings, like temp and voltage, both checked out in normal ranges. Before my system died on me before I did recieve some msgs from my comp via voice that my cpu fan failed etc, especially when I was playing WoW. However I checked that and my cpu fan is running fine. Could it be my mobo?

wkddrifter

wkddrifter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well Im going to go clear the cmos, and see if that helps any. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

wkddrifter

wkddrifter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well I cleared the cmos and was able to get back into the bios with the HD connected, I set it so the CDROM as the first boot device and disabled the rest so I can install windows; saved and it rebooted itself of course. But then I have the same problem as before, it keeps rebooting now. Lol seriously Im not sure what is going on, maybe I should keep the bios at factory settings, with

First Boot: Floppy
Second Boot: HDD-0
Third Boot: CD-ROM

just to see if it works sigh. Ill keep this updated =P.

wkddrifter

wkddrifter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just an extra question to anyone who can answer. Is there a specific procedure I must take in order to replace a SATA drive with a regular ATA one? All I did was remove the dead SATA drive from my bay, then put in the new ATA drive in its place as the master and connect it to the mobo using the primary IDE cable of course with the black connector labling it as master. Is there anything else Im forgetting?

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Nope uve set it up all fine as far as i can see i know on my asus board it has a jumper to disble the sata if needed but this is just for faster boot up so it doesnt look at the sata, also check the ide cable i have a few faulty ones which have done lots of strange things, i didnt think of it earlier i appolagise but the cable does seem a likely suspect at this stage.