Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Mouse is Plastic

• Please log in to reply

thats_lovely

thats_lovely

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So here's the problem:

Every once in a while my mouse pad gets a mind of its own and changes settings. One day it just decided to start clicking when I tapped the pad. I eventually figured out how to make it stop if need be, but left it for the time being. But now that I've gotten used to tapping my mouse pad to select an item, it decided to stop doing it.

Now when I tap my mouse pad it no longer clicks. Also, my scroll bar at the side just moves the mouse instead of scrolling through the page.

I tried going into my control panel, but now the options that were once there to change my mouse settings are no longer available.

Is there an easy way to fix this? I'm working on Windows XP, and I don't really know a LOT about computers. So if anyone could help me in the simplest way possible it would be MUCH appreciated. I like my clicky mouse pad, haha.

Thanks,
thats_lovely

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
There should be a program running called TOUCHPAD or something along those lines. If you have killed that program in the past, you need to locate it and restart or enable it.

thats_lovely

thats_lovely

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Like I said, I really don't know much about computers...

How exactly would I do that? If you could explain in a little more detail that would be amazingly awesome :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I eventually figured out how to make it stop if need be,

how did you do that?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Edit: Absolutely non-constructive. As staff you should know better. If you don't have anything usefull to contribute, don't

Edited by dsenette, 12 April 2007 - 02:50 PM.
Unacceptable post

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Dear thats lovely.

My previous post which was edited by dsenette could be interpreted as an offending one. If it did, I deeply regret that. It was never ment to be. In fact, hurting other people's feelings is totally against my nature. I find it important to apologize in the open forum and not in a private message.

Kind Regards

The Skeptic

thats_lovely

thats_lovely

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't offend easily...

anyway, back to that mouse problem...

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What type of laptop is it? A driver update for the touchpad may fix the issue, as I have seen weirder things fixed by it.

thats_lovely

thats_lovely

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
turns out that is exactly what i needed to do. i had someone down the hall help me. thank you so much!

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You got it :whistling: