Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu's latest Linux will help debug crashes

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With its upcoming "Feisty Fawn" version of Ubuntu Linux due on 19 April, Canonical hopes to shed light on what happens when things go wrong.

Feisty Fawn, also known as version 7.04, comes with software that can send debugging information to help programmers track down the problems that cause applications to crash, Canonical chief executive Mark Shuttleworth said in an interview.

"There are potentially millions of users of an application on Ubuntu, but they don't have a relationship with us or upstream developers," Shuttleworth said. "If we can connect those two groups more effectively, it's good for both of them."

http://uk.news.yahoo...bu-20a87fa.html

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
I just downloaded it and am goingto install it now. I will post my impressions once I tinker with it for a while :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hopefully it will be more usefull than the microsoft version of the same concept

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

I just downloaded it and am goingto install it now. I will post my impressions once I tinker with it for a while :whistling:

ditto, just backing up important files from 6.10, then it's getting deleted in favor of 7.04.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Michael Dell Uses Ubuntu Feisty Fawn

http://www.dell.com/.......l=en&s=corp

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
So far I'm liking it a lot, it's a significant improvement over Edgy and a big step towards Linux being adapted on the average computer user's desktop. The install and configuration was a breeze. Only negatives so far are that updating and installing new packages via Synaptic is incredibly slow (as the servers are overloaded by people trying to download Feisty) and I'm having some trouble getting Beryl to work, but I'm using an ATI card so I guess that's to be expected.

Keith, I saw that on slashdot. Here's hoping that this means Ubuntu will be an option on future Dells :whistling:

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
thus far, i see no major differences other than the fact that my internet now runs at 30kb/s as opposed to 180kb/s on ubuntu 6.10 and windows xp. :whistling:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Slightly off topic I'm trying out PCLinuxOS, another distro that comes on a live CD, I think it was the first to do so. I would rate it highly as a replacement for Win98 or 2000 Pro, it drives more like Windows than any other distro I've met, and installation was very easy. It does seem to have a problem managing memory but hopefully that will be fixed.

And I've downloaded the non-live version of Feisty and will be trying it soon.

It seems like bad timing on Big Bill's part to drop support for Win98 and ME just when these nice, easy to use distros are maturing.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

thus far, i see no major differences other than the fact that my internet now runs at 30kb/s as opposed to 180kb/s on ubuntu 6.10 and windows xp. :whistling:

to not scare anyone away from ubuntu... it was just that the ubuntu servers are running slow because of all the people downloading fiesty and packages for fiesty. The only time I experience slow speeds is when I am downloading packages from ubuntu. When I download anything else I get normal speeds. Also, the speeds with ubuntu packages are better than yesterday, about 90kb/s now, and I expect that within a week or two they should be normal.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I put it on my brothers laptop a couple of weeks ago it was still in beta but it was stable and close enough to release that i felt confident with it and its been great very few problems, it also took allot less time to set feisty up than edgy.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I've put the Feisty alternative version on a disk and compared with the PCLinux more stuff works, I'm also comparing it with the latest version of SimplyMepis and Linux Mint. The desktop of PCLinux is definitely the best with everything being well arranged and accessible but the functionality of Feisty is better. I don't like the desktops of Mint or SimplyMepis, they're too busy and things aren't proportioned well at all. If someone had to work with them several hours a day it could become very tiring. For instance the font faces on SimplyMepis are too small at any resonable resolution, not matter what you do.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
I think they did a great job updating the media codecs. Its nice to think i can watch wmv, avi's without having to use automatix.