Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Shut Down Problems

• Please log in to reply

emzuler

emzuler

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

Well the title pretty much says it all. I try to shut down my computer but it won't. It will stay on the same light blue screen saying "Shutting Down...." but minutes later it's still there and still just hovering on the same screen. So i have to go ahead and shut it down myself manually. I'm afraid that it's damaging the computer(further?). Sometimes it actually does shut down, but i can't see what i'm doing differently from the usual.
Does anyone know why this might be happening ?
One thing i can say though is that my Windows is not a genuine copy. But also, this only started happening recently.
Hrm ?
Suggestions ? Advice ?

Appreciate it =)
Emilia

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this

The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending. This can result in problems when using Roaming User Profiles in a server environment or when using locked profiles as implemented through the Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP.

On Windows 2000 you can benefit from this service if the application event log shows event id 1000 where the message text indicates that the profile is not unloading and that the error is "Access is denied". On Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 either event ids 1517 and 1524 indicate the same profile unload problem.

To accomplish this the service monitors for logged off users that still have registry hives loaded. When that happens the service determines which application have handles opened to the hives and releases them. It logs the application name and what registry keys were left open. After this the system finishes unloading the profile.

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en