Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Corrupted RAM

• Please log in to reply

the kazman

the kazman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I recently had a problem with corrupted RAM, so i replaced them and reinstalled my OS. But i was wondering, could files have been damaged while i was using the corrupted RAM? And now that i have new RAM, could any files that might have been affected by my bad ram cause my new RAM to become corrupted again? By the way, how does RAM get corrupted anyway? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
RAM gets corrupted by physical means. See below...

Electrostatic shock from improper handling can damage memory. Try to avoid stroking your cat while you install your new 1GB DDR module! Likewise, power surges or poor power supplies can also damage your computer's memory, sometimes gradually. The same can be said for raising memory voltage too high if you are overclocking.

If your computer is excessively dusty, or is located in a humid environment the contacts between the memory module and the memory slot can be interfered with or corroded. Heat, either from other components or the RAM itself can also cause gradual damage. Obviously, careless handling can also damage computer memory by causing physical harm to the circuit board or contacts. This is one of the reasons why we advocate memory heat spreaders - they don't really do much in the way of cooling sticks of DDR, but they do offer a nice level of protection from handling.

Another factor to take into consideration is the possibility of defects in the memory slots of your computer's motherboard. These can be damaged by the same means as listed above, and can cause confusion, since any memory module plugged into a defective slot will appear to be defective even though it really isn't

Fortunately, as modern computer memory is produced uniformly and has relatively few points of failure as compared to other computer parts, manufacturers are able to provide decent warranty support. Most 'brand name' memory purchased directly form suppliers like Corsair, Crucial or Kingston carries a lifetime warranty, while 'white box' memory purchased from resellers typically has a longer warranty than most equivalent products, generally three years.

Taken from: http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=1565

the kazman

the kazman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thankyou for your help. Just to clarify, nothing from within my system (such as damaged files, faulty OS, viruses) can do damage to my RAM? And can corrupt RAM damage my files?

Edited by the kazman, 12 April 2007 - 07:32 PM.

the kazman

the kazman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
any help please?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Corrupt RAM can damage your files, because files are loaded into it and therefore paged back out at some point later on, thus corrupting them in the process.
There is no way any software can do physical damage to your RAM.

the kazman

the kazman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks you for your help