Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking old house

• Please log in to reply

Dryfter

Dryfter

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Anyone got an old house that they set up a network in? I'm thinking about running the cable along behind the baseboards. Wireless isn't an option as we are both avid gamers and it would destroy our connections.

Advertisements

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
What games are these???

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
I play a variety of online games with wireless and find it works equally as good, sometimes better than direct cable.

Go wireless if you can.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I also play many games wired and wireless. WOW, Guild Wars, Runescape.... lots of them

They are about equal to me, however my desktop is a much better computer, but the connection is about the same. IF you HAVE to go wired, running a cable behind the baseboards is an idea, or under carpet, or I even did it outside one time, but it has to be a cable long enough :whistling: and they are kinda fragil. So hope that helps

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
As long as your home is using romex for its electrical wiring (which it is... if u live in the US and have had your home inspected within the last 15 years) check out the link i provided in this thread.

They worked great for my WOW and 360 gaming until i was able to do mine with cat5. I never saw any latency or lost connections.

PS....

running a cable behind the baseboards is an idea, or under carpet,

is a bad idea... think of all the nails or carpet spikes involved - hope none of them hits the cable :whistling:

I even did it outside one time, but it has to be a cable long enough and they are kinda fragil.

They actually make an external cat5 wiring for this named "Superior Essex Weather Resistant cat5e 4 pr 24 (ul) cmr 02 7 7 h" that can be ordered online here. ON PAGE 18

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 12 April 2007 - 06:59 PM.