Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I am lost in Ubuntu 6.10

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I just installed ubuntu 6.10, and I want to install the Beryl feature that everyone is talking about, now this is my first time with Linux so please don't get me lost. Can you guys tell me in steps cause I am really new to this, that includes the download this and that part.

THanks,
By the way is beryl the 3d thing that looks like a cube or did I hear wrong?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
http://wiki.beryl-pr..._.28Edgy_Eft.29 Choose which option you want to install by.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thanks for that link but as I said I am really retarted with LInux what do I do? There is no EXE files. I am lost again. By the way I chose the Nvidia one.

Edited by SOORENA, 12 April 2007 - 05:09 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
there are no .exe files in linux. take everything you know about windows and throw it out the window.

if you want to use the Beryl via nvidia, just follow the directions in the beryl nvidia guide exactly.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
This section is intended mainly for inexperienced users......

I don't think this is true I really don't get what their saying can you maybe translate? WHere do I execute those codes?

Edited by SOORENA, 12 April 2007 - 05:29 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
if you hold on a minute, I will go boot up my ubuntu 6.10 computer to be better able to help you. :whistling:

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
okay, to run any of the commands they give you, you need to use the terminal. it can be accessed though applications>accessories>terminal.

Edited by stettybet0, 12 April 2007 - 05:54 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I got as far as the screen going black and then I typed in sudo sh ./NVIDIA.run I renamed the file so its easier, this was the next step by the way, but nothing happens. The thing just goes to the next line and nothing. I didn't bother doing some of the steps cause I can read off my laptop and do the steps. What do I do now?

Edited by SOORENA, 12 April 2007 - 07:03 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
say, if the file was named nvidia.lotsofstuff.run and you wanted it to be nvidia.run, then type

mv ./nvidia.lotsofstuff.run ./nvidia.run

you can then type

ls

to verify the change was made.

you only have to use sudo if you are operating outside of your home folder, or if the process you are about to run is going to.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thanks for that tip, but still that doesn't change anything I am still stuck at the step.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Copying and pasting across multiple TTY terminals may not be possible, and therefore the user is encouraged to use <TAB> completion whenever possible. Assuming no other files in your home directory or in your path contain "NVIDIA", it possible to insert the name of the previously downloaded file simply by entering

sudo sh ./NVIDIA<TAB>

into the terminal. The above keystokes should result in, for instance

sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9755-pkg1.run

being displayed. Thus, it is not always necessary to type long filenames manually.

This is not renaming a file, it is just a useful way to complete a name. You actually have to hit the tab key, not type out <TAB>. Is this what you need help with? If not, please explain.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
sorry to change my mind, but i installed the drivers and their fine now. i tested this by typing in glxinfo | grep direct and it said there is direct rendering so I'm fine. now i need some help installing beryl from XGL, is the command line the same as the terminal? it says to type deb http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org/ edgy main where do i put this?

lol one more thing I need help with, i think i disabled the capslock when i was installing the drivers so i need help setting up again. Thanks.

Edited by SOORENA, 12 April 2007 - 07:54 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
im going to bed now sorry, but to answer some of your questions... the terminal is equivalent to the command line. and, if you read on about

Add the following repository:

deb http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org/ edgy main

you would have seen this:

One way to do so is by executing:

echo -e "\n## Beryl repository\ndeb http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org/ edgy main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

I'm not sure on the caps lock thing, but I will try to get back to you on that tomorrow.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
well thank you for you're help so far and i hope tomorrow you can explain how you got that last code.

Thank you and I hope I'll get better with Linux soon.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I got that last code by reading down 2 lines on the nvidia page... its strange they don't have it on the XGL page, but it should still work.