Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

emachine, windows millinium upgrade, i deleted os, help

• Please log in to reply

suzan

suzan

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi all, I have a major problem! I have a friends emachine that HAD windows millinium installed and then upgraded, upgraded again to windows home edition, was running very slow and he ask me to fix it if I could. I run all the scans and there was a lot of adware but no major virusus, i done a few clean ups and it was still running slow, so i got bored and decided to put the windowsxp home edition in and just reinstall. got all the way to the screen that asks for the key and there im stuck. the microsoft sticker on the computer was for millinium so it tells me invalid key. I remember when he had the upgrades done at a local computer shop and know he paid quiet a bit both times. I have not told him this yet, been afraid to. would like to resolve it without telling him. Is my only choice buying windows again? I have a couple of old operating systems laying around that are not installed on computers that work any more but was afraid to try that. I am willing to go and buy new windows if thats possible?? please help I want to get this fixed without spending a lot if possible. thank you, sorry if this is in wrong place was not sure where it would go since i have no operating system on it.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi suzan...

Chances are, the old eMachine isn't going to run XP very well. The older machines just don't have the specs for it.

What operating system disks do you have "laying around"? Are they retail cd's or recovery cd's that came with a particular machine?

wannabe1

suzan

suzan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
they are for emachines i had before i gave up and got HP, harddrive tore ip on one the motherboards on both but i found the 3 install cd,s that come with each one and also sill have the towers with the stickers on them but i dont know if that would work and certainly dont want to do anything illegal. the one im trying to fix had wimxp home edition on it and worked a year.