Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista beeps at odd times

• Please log in to reply

someyunguy

someyunguy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is trivial but it's driving me nuts:
Vista plays the default beep ("windows ding.wav") at odd times: when i navigate the mail box in aol (any time i click an email (just highlight not open) or navigate within the mailbox)
or when i run the program Eraser and click on a file scheduled to be erased.
Aol does not have a sound effect tab just for navigating mail so it's not a matter of removing a sound theme; if i delete windows ding.wav then aol and Eraser make my pc speaker beep. ??

A little more info: "windows ding.wav" is the sound that's played when you move the volume slider up and down - if i delete it then move the slider there is no sound, not even from the pc speaker - i can stop all this by editing the wav volume to zero but why do aol mail and eraser play a file whenever i click on something when they arent suppose to have sounds anyway? yes, the explorer "start navigation" sound is disabled.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi someyunguy...

Open Control Panel and double click on the "Sound" icon. Under the "Sounds" tab, in the "Program" box, scroll down to "Select" and click on it. From the "Sounds" drop down menu, choose "None" and apply the change.

Does this have the desired effect?

wannabe1

someyunguy

someyunguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for the reply - that seemed like a good idea, (i didnt even notice there was a 'select' sound) - but no it didnt make a difference, 'select' had no sound attached to it
i checked all the sounds in the program box and the only one that has the sound i hear is for "default beep" -
these programs never did this under xp

Bella2929

Bella2929

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First, go to:

CONTROL PANEL, HARDWARE AND SOUND, SOUNDS. Find DEFAULT BEEP, and change the sound to NONE.

Second, go to:

CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM AND MAINTENANCE, DEVICE MANAGER. Click on VIEW, then SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES. Double click on NON-PLUG AND PLAY DRIVERS. Find BEEP and double click. Click on the DRIVER tab, then choose STOP and on the pull down menu, choose DISABLED.

All fixed! No more annoying beeping! :whistling:

Edited by Bella2929, 17 April 2007 - 08:24 PM.