Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with SATA

• Please log in to reply

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
i don't know if this would help, but here is some info about my hard drive:
here is the link for it, the exact one i bought from tigerdirect: »Here«

and here are the specs, if you don't have time to visit the link:

Specifications

Capacity (GB) Learn More 320

Interface Serial ATA-300

Spindle Speed (RPM) 7200

Buffer Memory 16MB

Average Latency (msec) 4.16

Maximum External Transfer Rate (Mbits/sec) 300

Data Transfer Rate on Serial ATA Up to 3000 Mb/sec

Logical Cylinders/Heads/Sectors per Track 16,383/16/63

Bytes Per Sector 512

Nonrecoverable Read Errors per Bits Read 1 in 10E14

Temperature, Operating (°C) 0 to 60

Temperature, Nonoperating (°C) -40 to 70

Shock, Operating: 2 msec (Gs) 68

Shock, Nonoperating: 2 msec (Gs) 300

Type OEM

Dimensions 1.028" x 5.787" x 4.0"

cheers :whistling:

Pers

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
So what's the problem?

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

So what's the problem?

I think it's slow, it loses in performance to my athlon, which i bought at future shop ( i know i know, don't think i'm a complete idiot, i've learned from my mistakes)... this computer is like .. 2 times faster than my amx x2 4200+... but the hard drive.. seems a bit too slow, at least that is what benchies tell me

cheers

pers

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Can i have a link to your motherboard too?

that HD is indeed SATA2, but now we;ll check your motherboard, because that could only be SATA1, which would slow it down. To be honest its not a major issue, but we can still look into it, just for fun! :whistling:

is there not a way of posting a saved BASELINE from the benchmarking program?

glen

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
sure man, here is the link for my mobo: »motherboard«

tell me what you think

cheers

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
At the moment everything is SATA2 compatible.

have you been able to save a BASELINE result? please post it!!!!!

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
no man, i dunno how... i'm using the 30 day trial right now.. and i don't think you can upload with it.. i usually baseline my new pc's with this program, and then i get rid of the progra, i don't buy it. if you want, i can just write down to you all the numbers.. what i got in each score, it's going to take some time, but hey, if it easier for you.... :whistling:

so, i'll just write down in such fashion:

example:

Cpu - compression ... 7000 or something

memory - allocate small block 2950 or something...

disk - random seek + rw - 50 or whatever it is..

and it'll be the same as if i uploaded the baseline

tell me what you think

cheers :blink:

pers

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
i've only had a 20min play with the software, but it seems simple enough to use.

1. run all the tests sequentually

2. once complete click FILE>SAVE AS BASELINE.

3.save

then attach it to a post here on the forum!

Thanks

Glen

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
okay, here is my perfomance test baseline:

sorry, the site would only allow me to save it as an immage

Attached Thumbnails

• my_perfomance_test.gif

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
i will analyis it on wednesday, because i am way on holiday until tuesday, 4 days without internet :S

i will PM you my email, so can you try sending it to me via email, i'll be able to do it quicker, and more accurate!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Pers, y are you worried about a synthetic benchmark? Does it transfer files as fast as you want it to? I took a quick look at the results and everything looks good, only thing that looks a bit on the low side is the seek time, but its random and not average so I really don't know what others compare to. From what I see there, there is nothing to worry about. Remember the hard drive on any given computer is the least most advanced thing in there when compared to everything else. Yes we have seen great improvements with them over the years, but when you compare it towards processors, memory and graphics card, they really haven't advanced nearly as much as the others.

I have seen a number of people get worried about numbers and I understand everyone wants thier build to work to it's full potential since we did drop alot of money into it. But we must realize there is more to a computers performance then the numbers you'll see on synthetic benchmarks real life performance is what really matters. If transfer rates and the overall computer isn't slow, then what is there to worry about?

James

Edited by james_8970, 20 April 2007 - 10:57 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
so it won't affect the computer's perfomance in, say, games?? or will it be better with a faster hard drive?

pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hard drives won't make a noticeable difference on any games, only thing you'll see real advantages on would be multimedia programs such as Photoshop, but even then the differences are very small. You're looking at 2-5 seconds, not worth spend an extra 50-200$ for that, money can be much better spent elsewhere.

Here is an example of what I'm saying, Hitachi 1TB HD review Look at the very first benchmark graph and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I ran the benchmark on my computer, your Hard drive beat mine at everything and it should since mine (or the family comptuer I should say) is 4 years old.

If your seeing any sluggish performance, how much RAM do you have. If your running vista ultamite with any less then 2GB of ram, I strongly recommend you upgrade to the point where you'll have 2GB.

James

Edit: One thing I want to add here, as you fill your hard drive closer and closer to capacity you'll watch performance take a leap of a cliff, or seek times and such. Anyways, it's more noticeable on synthetic benchmarks then it is in real life performance.

Edited by james_8970, 21 April 2007 - 12:04 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
so glen how was your trip? :whistling:

anyways, have you compared the benchies with me? i've sent you the baseline over email :blink:

btw, james, do you have IDE or SATA hard drive?

cheers

pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol, that never even hit me. IDE. Then those scores are low.....hmmmm
James