Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dumprep.exe

• Please log in to reply

kraz3d

kraz3d

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Several times throughout the day, dumprep.exe takes up all of my CPU usage. I have to open the task manager and close them through the processes tab. It gets really anoying because sometimes it makes my computer completely freeze up. What is dumprep.exe? Any help will be appreciated. :whistling:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

As per liutilities.com:

dumprep.exe forms a part of Microsoft Windows XP (and later versions), in-built fault logging software. Upon serious errors this program will write the details to a text file and request the information be sent to Microsoft. This program is a non-essential system process, and is installed for third party use.

It is NOT recommended you remove it but it can be disabled by doing the following:

Right click on “My Computer,” choose “Properties” from that menu.

Click on “Advanced tab,”

Click the “Error Reporting” button.

Check the “Disable error reporting” box. You may choose to uncheck the the box below it, “But notify me when an error occurs,” if desired.

Murray

kraz3d

kraz3d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
thanks much!