Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading Firefox v1.5.0.11 To v2.0.0.3 [Question]

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
I would like information on upgrading Firefox v1.5.0.11 to v2.0.0.3. I read somewhere that everyone with v1.5.0.11 will have to upgrade to v2.0.0.3 by the end of April since they will not release anymore updates for v1.5.0.11. I am very worried as to how I should go about installing this upgrade. I have many bookmarks in my current Firefox browser that I do not want to lose. I see Mozilla Firefox as a removal option in my Add/Remove programs list but I really don't know how to go about the upgrade successfully.

I want to:

a) Make sure I do not lose any of my current bookmarks (have them passed into the new version if possible)

b) Install the upgrade properly

How should I go about this?

- Thank You

Advertisements

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Hello Superstar.

All you have to do is go here and download the newer version, it will carry everything over.
I just did it on another computer to make sure.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Also, you should have Options check to be notified when FF has a new update issued. It will then be a matter of seconds to install it. Updates to FF are security updates and you should always have the new one installed.

Ron

keithy397

keithy397

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Your bookmarks and other data (prefs, passwords etc) are in your Profile folder and not in the Program folder. Look after your Profile and it doesn't matter what goes wrong with installations.

Prog Folder:
C:\ > Program Files > Mozilla Firefox > All Firefox Program Files.

Profile folder:
C:\ > Documents & Settings >*Your User Name* > Application Data > Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles> *Your Profile* > All your data files

When you decide to upgrade to FF2+, copy the entire Profile folder and move it somewhere safe before you open it up, just in case anything goes wrong.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I just upgraded and it was painless. No problems.
To get to the profile folder as stated, you must fo to tools in windows explorer and check "view hidden folders"

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
You can also backup your bookmarks manually by doing the following:

In Firefox go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > File > Export

Save the bookmarks.html file to a location you will remember.

Then to import the bookmarks back into FF2 just do the following:

Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > File > Import

Select the bookmarks.html file and import it.

Upgrading should do this for you automatically, this is just a way to do it manually. It is good practice to back up your bookmarks on a regular basis.