Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Device List

• Please log in to reply

complete

complete

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
What I am looking to do is to provide the user (who runs my program) with a list of devices that they can pick from. You can do this with an Open File dialog if you click on "My Computer". What I want to know is how I can set up the dialog before the user opens it to prsent this list. How would you do this in C++? Have you seen it done before?

Posted Image

I want one of two (or both) solutions.

#1) I already have a custom File Open dialog program written where I am able to make sure that the user selects a directory and is not allowed to input a filename. Now I just want to know how to set up this estantiated FileOpen class so that it will first come up with the "My Computer" area showing.

OR

#2) I want to create a drop-down menu that only shows the devices for the user to pick from. In other words, just the C drive, the D drive, etc.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The second option sounds a bit more doable. I have no experience with C++, but I can tell you what to try to do. (I just can't provide any code unfortunately)

You could make a combobox (this is what they are called in VB.NET... to see what I mean, at the bottom of the forum there is a combobox that says "English" and one that says "Geeks to Go (NEW)".) Then put entries of all the devices you want, and link each entry to the device.

If you don't know how to do this, I could research into how for you. It might take a little while though, to learn to do this in a programming language I've never touched before.

Edited by stettybet0, 13 April 2007 - 12:57 PM.