Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

videos crashing

• Please log in to reply

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
cpu: 80c (176f)

motherboard: 72c (162f)

unable to get the hd temp

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The temperatures are awfully high and can be the source of the problem (any problem, in fact). You must bring them down to normal levels before anything else. If your computer is a desktop open the side cover, clean the heatsinks of the cpu and the chipset carefully with a thin brush and blow the dust with compressed air (you can by containers of compressed air in any computer supply shop). Check that all the fans spin freely.

If your computer is a laptop blow air into the air inlets. Apply in short bursts to avoid over-revving of the fan. Try to lift it up for a few centimeters to improve air circulation beneath the bottom of the computer.

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I have a laptop attached to a docking port that I made a stand for. It has about 6 in. (15.24cm) of space under it. I installed two 4in (10.16cm) fans to the bottom of the docking station to draw the heat away. I cut 2 holes through the bottom of the dock to permit free air flow. I also installed a smaller fan inside of the dock to help cooling there. My 160gb external drive also has a cooling fan mounted to the housing.
I am going to have to figure out some other ways to cool it. Maybe a fan blowing across the top of the keys or some kind of liquid cooling, or maybe a new laptop. This one has always ran on the hot side, even the reviews from when it was new talked about the high temps.
I will try some of my other ideas and post back in a couple of days.

Thank You once again for the ideas and your time...ed